Chapter 18: The Start of The End.

"Lady, where has your love gone? I was looking and I can't find it anywhere."
- Arctic Monkeys, No Buses.

"Jesus, Adela. You're thinning out so much."

Lydia stood beside the bed while the servant struggled with tightening the corset, and Adela winced every time she tugged at it. Lydia ran a concerned eye over her.

Yeah, she wouldn't find anything good over her, Adela thought, as she stared into the mirror at her reflection. Her cheeks were still flushed like always, her golden eyes bright in contrast with her pale skin. Her golden hair was braided down her side, and came till her hipbone.

But she was losing health. She could see it in the collarbones which were too sharp now, as well as the corset outlining her thin frame.

After the servants were done, they all walked out of the room, leaving her alone with Lydia. Adela kept looking into the mirror, at the shimmery rose gold dress they had made for her. The finest silk you could fine, a large bow on the front.

It was a celebration. A celebration for her. Yet any kind of celebration was the last thing she wanted right now.

Lydia came forward, held her hand and turned her around slowly. Adela met her eyes, so much green. The green Adela remembered from Christian.

She hadn't thought of him in a long while now. Why? Why hadn't she? Had it been for the guilt that she felt tug at her heart every time she thought of how possibly hurt she had left him?

She would've explained everything to him, she thought. She would've if she would've gotten the chance.

But could explanations make any wrong right?

"So much going through your head, Adela." Lydia sighed, tucking a strand behind Adela's ear, "For once give yourself a break."

Her eyes widened at that, "Can you-?"

"No," Lydia smiled, shaking her head, "I can't read your mind. But I can feel the mess you are. Like all the thoughts running at the same time are causing this unrest all over you. I can feel your stress clearly."

Adela closed her eyes slightly. Since Lydia had woken her up with her blood as the cure, they experiences new things every single day. It seemed like the whole thing had created a bond between them. They knew nothing about it, but they hoped nothing would go wrong.

"I'm sorry." Adela said, shaking her head, "I just can't slow it down. Maybe I'll quiet down my thoughts if I can-"

"God, Adela. Stop it." Lydia groaned, "You need to figure yourself out. You've been miserable ever since you've woken up."

She just looked down, unable to look up. She didn't want anyone to see how she hated this. She had been strong, independent. She had been in control of herself. No one had her heart so tightly fisted with them.

Now her heart was somewhere else, and her emotions were controlled by someone who no longer seemed to care. And no matter how much she tried, tried to wake him up, tried to bring him back, she failed.

"He'll be back to you. Soon." Lydia put her hand on her cheek. Adela sighed.

"Today seems to be the same night as the first one we met on." She whispered, "Both complete strangers."