Chapter 4: Katherine.

"And I will meet you there. Some time in the future, we can share our stories."
- Kodaline, Moving On.

Like every night since a long time ago, Lydia sat over the edge of the window, staring up at the stars. Unlike everyday else, today the sky was cloudy, all the stars partly covered by the huge, black clouds. It was going to rain, probably.

Like everyday, she felt him approach an abnormal amount of time before he actually sat right in front of her, one leg dangling out, one inside.

He settled back, his eyes shut tightly. He let out a long breath.

"Adela is a mess." He said quietly.

The way he said it, it tore something off in her. It made her want to scream for her brother, the brother she had lost a long time ago. The brother she probably would never see again. The brother who had literally meant everything to her.

There was something so special between Adela and Edgar, something so special that Lydia envied it. She yearned for something like that.

"It's like she hurts every single time he leaves." He half opened his eyes, "I can't handle seeing her like that every time. I want to do something to help, but then I realise there's... there's nothing I can do."

"She'll be fine." Lydia said, smiling for his sake, "It's for their betterment."

He sighed, slowly nodding. He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"She really loves that bastard."

Lydia smiled, a real smile. She had found both of them, Adela and Sebastian, a beautiful couple since the start. Thinking about them always put a smile on her face.

When she looked up, Edgar was already looking at her. It was the same way he had looked at her earlier in the hall, when she had laughed. He looked at her with complete awe.

He looked at her like she was brighter than all the stars in the sky, combined.

"Why don't you smile more often." He said quietly, shaking his head, "You can kill people with that smile, do you know that?"

The smile faltered from her face as soon as he said that. She started messing with a frill on her dress, diverting all her attention to her hand. She tried too hard not to pay any attention to him as he leaned forward.

He was close. Too close. Too close.

"Why do you always do that?" He whispered, and she slowly looked up.

"Do what?"

"Whenever I tell you something like that," He shook his head lightly, "You just look away. You dismiss me. Why do you do that?"

She gulped in. She wasn't sure if she'd be able to keep her voice from breaking when she said the next words.

"I don't want you to say things like that to me."

He stared at her for a while, then closed his eyes, "You do love living in that misery, don't you? You never want to come out of it."