5

It was freezing outside, so George stayed in his car with the heat on. He kept checking the rearview, hoping to see Blake's Audi coming down the road by the lake. He was already thirty minutes late—money privileges George could only go along with.

His eyes moved over the construction site, trying to see it as Ian Blake would—if he ever showed up. George was happy the works progressed at such a good pace. The basic structure for the cabins would be finished soon, right in time to cover everything before the winter, to wait for the melting and resume the construction.

That was the good thing about building in a small town. He didn't need to worry about vandalism and illegal occupations over the winter months, when the work would be on hold. And as soon as the weather allowed it, they would resume the activities.

Blake's deadline was so tight that George had hired a dozen men from outside town to add to the local crew. At the beginning, nobody in town was happy with such an invasion of outsiders coming to stay for a couple of months. But Betty's Inn was full in low season, and it was hard to get a table to have dinner at Jill's on working days. Stu couldn't complain either. Turned out the outlanders spent a part of their salaries in town, so the locals ended up sighing in exasperation and accepting the aliens roaming up and down their precious Main Street.

George checked the time and huffed. It'd be Blake's only visit to the complex before the opening, and he wanted it to be already over.

The sun was getting close to Mount Baker when Blake's Audi finally drove into the construction site. Black, new, wealthy, its tinted windows hid whoever was inside. It stopped by George's car and the driver stepped out, wearing a black suit that was more expensive that George's best. He opened the backseat door as George zipped up his winter jacket and got out of his car.

He was relieved to see Markus following Blake out of the Audi. His friend would be the complex's manager, and he'd known Blake for years. So he'd help George off the hook during the inspection if he needed to.

Giving Blake the tour lasted thirty intense minutes. The man went into every cabin and walked over the whole park, filling George with questions that were way more technical than George was used to hear from the money.

Back by the cars, Blake looker around with a satisfied nod. "I really like it, George. I'm very pleased," he said, and winked at George. "And I always reward those who please. This is perfect for the first summer. And next fall, we can get started with the expansion."

"Expansion?" George repeated, puzzled.

"Yes, George, expansion. You sharpen your pencil and start collecting your ideas. Because I'm not missing such a great opportunity and I'd like you still on board and holding the wheel."

"I'm sorry, sir, but I'm afraid I'm not following you."

Blake's hand gloved in black leather moved as to show George the whole lot.

"Two years from now, we're opening here a five-star resort. Tennis courts, greens, marina, swimming pool, spa, the whole deal."

"But this is a protected area, Mr. Blake. We were lucky to get permission to build half a dozen structures."

Blake faced George with a mocking little smile. "Protected area?" He sounded amused. "Dear boy, soon you'll learn nothing is protected from my interests."

George saw Markus shake his hand from behind Blake and nodded. "Of course, Mr. Blake. I can start working on it whenever you like."

Blake scoffed. "No need to pretend, George. You'll see it yourself. And then it'll be my pleasure doing real business with you." He rubbed his gloved hands together. "And now, gents, please let's get out of this cold. I've got some calls to make before dinner at Markus' new home."

The driver opened the door for him. George went back to his car and drove out of the construction site after the Audi.

* * *

The cars cruised down the road by the lake toward Markus' house on the cliff. Parallel to the road, through the woods spreading south of Bold Peak, ran the old track to the old Palmer's sawmill. Lila and Rob strolled down that track, hand in hand in the sunset.

The girl's keen senses perceived the Audi driving by and her lips painted black pursed in a playful smile.

"What is it?" asked Rob.

She replied like crooning, "The sun will soon be down. The full moon will come up. And here in the northern woods there will be no more wastelands."

Rob frowned, trying to make sense of her answer.

Lila giggled. "Never mind, sweet Rob. The Duke's given us this land. And once we claim it, we will shelter his treasure."

* * *

At the Audi backseat, Blake kept his eyes out on the lake while his thin lips pursed, as in response to Lila's words.

"So she didn't die after all," he said out of the blue.

"I'm afraid not, sir," Markus replied, and his stiff formality had nothing to do with the nice merry ways his neighbors knew.

"Any idea how she survived her facing up to the forest ghost?"

"No, sir. As far as we know, she'd never shown special skills in the past."

"I need to see her face to face again. Then I'll know."

"That'd be no problem, sir."

"Good."

They fell silent for a couple of minutes, until Blake spoke again, his eyes still out the window.

"I may be needing you on a special trip soon."

"Of course, sir. Whatever you need."

"They keep moving it around to heavily protected locations, so none of my kin can go anywhere near it."

"I'd be honored to retrieve it for you, sir."

"I know. But I can't send you empty-handed against Protectors. I'm giving you a little something, and you'll need some time to handle it."

"As you wish, sir. You know I'm here only to serve you."

Blake nodded with another little smile. Yes, he knew.