BW - 13

The sun was setting when a roaring engine brought Led Zeppelin's D'yer Mak'er to thunder across the motel parking lot. Claire and Mark watched a movie at the Corbans' room, sprawled on the couch with sodas and snacks at hand on the coffee table. They looked out the window as the roaring and Led Zeppelin stopped at the same time. A moment later, Alex and Aidan walked in.

Claire sensed her aunt's exhaustion and followed Alex when she headed straight to the bathroom.

"How're you feeling, kiddo?" she asked, washing her hands and face with cold water.

"Fine. Still a little dizzy, but I'll be okay in a couple of hours. What 'bout you? You look pale."

"I really need a shower."

"Go ahead. Anything you fancy for dinner?"

"Whatever you wanna order."

Twenty minutes later, Alex joined the others at the living area, wearing clean clothes and still rubbing her wet hair with a towel. She found them watching TV, no sign of food other than the snacks leftovers.

"What happened to dinner?"

Aidan stood up, grimacing. "They ordered vegan. So I was hoping you'd be as kind as to join me on a holly quest for some good old trash food."

Alex scowled at Claire and Mark. "Vegan? Seriously?"

"You said whatever I wanted!" the girl argued.

Alex dropped the towel on Claire's head and grabbed her jacket on her way out. She paused at the door to turn to Aidan. "Well?"

"Coming!"

Claire and Mark chuckled, watching Aidan hurry after Alex.

"Trash food and beer," she said as they walked out. "'Cause we teamed up for a fight."

"So we oughta have a drink together. That's my princess."

Claire and Mark turned on the couch to watch them through the window. Aidan took Alex's hand to led her to the Challenger, and he even opened the passenger's door for her.

"And enough Led Zeppelin already," Alex said as Aidan circled the car.

"Don't push it, Princess."

"That looks serious," Mark muttered.

"Like a heart attack," Claire said, nodding.

They came back before midnight, singing Deep Purple's Highway Star along at the top of their lungs. When they got out of the Challenger, Aidan stopped Alex from going to her room.

"C'mon, Princess, cut them a little slack."

"What? I wanna check on Claire. In case you forgot, she was dead for a couple of minutes only a few hours ago. And they must be playing Monopoly or painting the walls."

He chuckled, knowing she was most likely right. However, he motioned for her to follow him as he produced his phone. They paused outside his room and he gave Alex his phone with his brother's number on screen. Alex dialed.

"Hey, Mark, it's me. How-?" she said as Aidan opened his door. "You sure? 'Cause I can-"

Aidan snatched the phone from her hand and waved for her to walk into his room. "Hey, bro, everything fine, right?" he said on the phone. "Awesome. Night."

Alex had just stepped into the room when he disconnected and closed the door behind them, raising his eyebrows when she turned to him, frowning.

"What? You heard the man: Claire's fine. So let them be and let's go to bed."