29

Claire waited for her with breakfast as a lousy cover-up for her parchment roll of questions. Alex knew she had it coming and didn't try to avoid it. However, Claire studied her while pouring her coffee and didn't ask a single question about Tom.

"Are we opening the store this week?" the girl asked instead.

Alex wouldn't give her a chance to change her mind. "I was thinking today. We've already have everything set, and it's not like we need to send invitations—the word will spread."

"We still don't have the name."

Alex met Claire's eyes, dead serious. "Forget it."

"Why? You came up with a better one? Maybe 'Wolfie's' or something like that?"

"Not falling. Try again."

"You have until I'm done at Jill's. Find a better name. Else, I'll have my pick painted all over."

Alex huffed, rolling her eyes.

"What time are we opening?"

"Before dinner. About four? What d'you think?"

She knew she was being softer than usual. But that was what seemed to keep Claire from tying her down to her chair and question her to death. Here's to empathy, she thought. Sometimes it wasn't that bad.

"Stu said he has a whole barrel of ale ready for us as his opening present," Claire said.

"Then you should warn Jill you're not showing up to work tomorrow."

"She'll be okay with it. I never call in sick."

"And you won't. You're calling in hangovered."

They laughed together.