18

Hours crawled by. Claire's phone set off with her awful Toxic ringtone, distracting her from her broody thoughts.

"Hey, Mark." A weary smile pursing her lips. "No, no change yet," she said. "Okay, Let me know if you guys find anything." Aidan's rough voice on the other end of the line made her giggle. "Tell your brother I said hi. Bye!"

She disconnected, still smiling. Being able to turn to somebody for help in that situation was comforting. She leaned to Alex and caressed her dark hair gently.

"Heard that, Al? The Holster boys were asking about you. Aidan even said something about coming over to kick your ass back to your senses. That'd be like a diamond ring from him, right?" She pressed Alex's hand, her smile giving way to a concerned grimace. "Where are you, Al? Can't you hear me? Why is taking you so long to find your way back to us?"

But there was no answer. Not one the girl could hear. Nor one she could sense.

In the afternoon came Father Jason, like he'd done every day, and Claire asked him to keep an eye to Alex while she got hot water for a tea. When she came back, the priest handed her Alex's phone.

"It was buzzing," he said.

Claire checked the missed call and narrowed her eyes. Chances were she'd get kicked out of her home and banned from the Corban family for eternity. To hell with the odds. It was definitely worth it.

"Father, I'd need to return this call..."

"Take your time, child. I'm not going anywhere."

Claire's heart raced as she walked down the hall with her aunt's phone. It might work. If it did work, she'd have to face up to Alex's temper. Such a pity. At least her aunt would have a temper, instead of being as hot blooded as a damn geranium.