Chapter 37

Ruby

Leaving Mason is always the worst part of the day especially now that we are back together. I don't want to stop kissing him but I remember his dad telling him to be home by eleven.

"You have to go, I don't want you to lose the jeep again," I smile against his lips.

"Good point," he kisses me.

"Text me when you get home?"

"Okay, love you baby," he says.

"I love you too," I tell him and mean it from the very depth of my soul. "Go," I push him back with a smile.

"Okay, see you tomorrow."

I watch him drive away then walk into the house happy that I'm alone for once. Locking my bedroom door I changing into my pajamas, but leave Mason's t-shirt on under them because it's so cold. I'm almost tempted to sleep fully dressed instead I put on clean socks then jump into bed. Thirty minutes later my phone rings.

"Hello," I chatter.

"What's wrong," Mason's concerned voice asks.

"Nothing, just cold. Are you home?"

"Yeah, in bed," he yawns.

"Me too, but it's cold. When I get my own place I'm splashing out on a down comforter for the winter," I tell him.

"You should have said, I have our blanket in the jeep," he sighs.

"Don't worry about it, you can keep me warm tomorrow."

"Okay baby, night."

"Night." I hang up with a smile on my face and close my eyes.

***

The sound of crashing wakes me from dream of Mason. My eyes are barely open when my door splinters in. Scrambling from my bed I scream, trying to run away but strong arms grab me. Fear shoots through me and I fight off my attackers. I bet they're drug dealers looking for money. Diving for my phone, I kick at the guy, not seeing him. My foot makes contact causing him to grunt. Two other dark figures enter my room and tears blur my eyes. I press my phone blindly and hear "Siri" asking what she can do for me.

"Call Mason," I scream at her. "Get off me," I shout. "Help, help," I scream. Tears fall like rapids from my eyes as my heart pounds in my chest. One of them takes my phone while another carries me out of the house. "Help," I try to scream again but my throat hurts. Fear rockets through my body when I'm put into a van. Two of them climb in the back with me. Curling in a ball on the floor I pray that they won't kill me.

"Ruby. Ruby."

My name being called doesn't help the paralyzing fear coursing through my tightly curled body. Afraid to open my eyes I keep my sobs muffled by pressing my face into my knees.

"Ruby. Ruby," the voice says then I feel someone touch my leg. "It's okay Ruby, you can come out now," he says.

Lifting my head a little, I hold my breath while my eyes adjust to the dim orange light. The back doors of the van are open where a man stands.

"Ruby, can you hear me?"

That voice, I know that voice. Lifting my head a bit more I blink then launch myself at Mason's dad.

"Oh my god, you found me," I cry. Gripping him around the neck, I sob onto his shoulder. "You found me. You found me," I hiccup.

"It's okay, it's okay. I've got you," he says. His strong arms wrap around me and my knees give out. "Thompson, get me a blanket," he barks. "Ruby, we're at the police station. Can you walk inside?"