Chapter 17 | For You

DeVanté

The party had ended and everybody was gone. Me and Static was chilling on the couch. "Aye, pass me my burr," he said to me.

"Pass you yo' burr or yo' beer?" K-Ci asked him.

Static smacked his lips and looked K-Ci up and down. "I'm sure DeVanté know what I meant," he said. I picked up his beer that was beside me and gave it to him. Static mugged K-Ci. "Always tryna correct some damn body," he said under his breath.

Andre came out from he kitchen with some trash bags, my cue to leave. I stood up and started walking towards the door.

"Yo, Vanté," K-Ci said. I looked at him to see what he wanted. "Where you goin'?"

"The crib," I said and continued walking to the door.

"You comin' back... right?" he asked.

"Nah," I said plainly.

"Yes the hell you is," Dalvin chimed in. "If you don't stay yo' light skin ass here and help us!"

I turned around and looked at him. He was holding a trash bag and putting cans in it. That's the reason I don't host my own parties, people act like they just don't understand the concept of cleaning up after themselves.

"This," I said while pointing around at the the mess other people left behind, "-is not my mess. I made sure I picked up behind myself, so I ain't helpin' clean jackshit."

"DeVanté, this is nothing new," said Andre. "We've been through this. When we host a party, everybody helps clean up. Period."

I smacked my lips. "Man, I didn't want to come to this party anyway."

"You didn't want to come?" he asked me. "The party was to celebrate your album."

"His album?" JoJo came out of nowhere and asked.

Andre gave him a look. "You know what I mean," he said before looking at me. "You can leave," he said to Static who was behind me. "DeVanté, you stay your ass here. Pick up a bag and start cleaning."

I looked at him crazy as hell. What made him think he had the right to talk to me like that? He wasn't my father, so who the hell did he think he was? Jesus?

"I ain't cleanin' shit, fuck that," I said before opening the door. I heard them calling my name as me and Static walked to my truck, but I ignored them. They act like they can't hire some people to clean up.

"You know you wrong," Static said.

"Man, forget them, especially Andre," I said as we got in my truck. "Would if I didn't even come to the party? I could be at home sick as a dog. They would've cleaned up without me then, so they can clean up without me now."

"That mentality gone end up gettin' yo' yellow ass fired," he said while buckling his seat belt.

"Andre can kiss my yellow ass, too," I said plainly as I backed out of the driveway.

"When you start actin' like this towards that man?" he asked.

"Actin' like what?" I asked nonchalantly.