Chapter 16 | Running Away

Morgan

Bria and I had been dancing for a while and and my feet were killing me. "Aye, you want to sit down?" I asked her. "My feet hurt."

"Mine do, too," she said. "I'm thirsty, let's go to the kitchen."

As we made our way to the kitchen, we passed by DeVanté, he was still sitting down on the couch with those two dudes. I made brief eye contact with the brown skin boy next to him, who's name I do not know.

"Don't be drinking none of this punch, ain't no telling what's in it," I said while analyzing the bowl of red punch.

"Trust me, I know better," Bria said before grabbing a can of Dr. Pepper and opening it. She put the can to her mouth and took a sip. "I wonder who's house this is, it's big as hell."

"No one actually lives here. It's just one of the houses Andre has, specifically to host parties," I informed her.

She scrunched up her face at me. "Who the fuck is Andre?"

"Um... Andre Harrell... the founder of Uptown Records... The guy Jodeci works for..." I said in a 'duh' tone of voice.

She stared at me for a moment before her eyes lit up in realization. "Oh! The dude that was talking on the microphone a while ago. The one with them glasses, right?"

"Yes, Bri. That would be him," I said causing her to laugh at her own slowness.

Dumbass. 🙄

That boy that was with DeVanté came into the kitchen and went to the refrigerator, grabbing a bear. He noticed me and slightly smiled.

I politely smiled back. "Hey," I said.

"Hey," he said. "I'm Static."

Aaaawwww he got a cute little voice. ☺️

He held his hand out for me to shake. I shook it. "I'm Morgan," I said.

He looked over at Bria and nodded his head at her. "What's up."

"Hey," Bria said with a toothy smile.

I raised my eyebrow at her before looking at the Static guy. "Well, um, see you around," I said and started walking out of the kitchen.

"You want her number, don't you?" I heard Bria ask him as I walked away. I didn't hear him say anything. "Aaaawww, you smiling!" she yelled. By the sound of her voice, I could tell she had a goofy ass grin plastered on her face.

"Damn, why you talkin' so loud?" I heard Static ask. I chuckled at how country he sounded.

"Cause you know you want that girl digits," Bria said a little less loudly.

Bria, I swear if you give that boy my number... 😑

I walked to the dance floor where I heard someone call my name. I looked over to see Tionne walking towards me. "Done arguing with Dalvin?" I asked her.

She rolled her eyes. "I was only wasting my breath anyway, it ain't like he was listening to me."

I chuckled, knowing what she meant. There would be plenty of times where DeVanté wouldn't listen to me. Well, I'm sure Dalvin wasn't listening simply because he didn't care about what Tionne was saying. DeVanté wouldn't listen to me simply because he's crazy as hell and literally can't help but to only hear what he wants to hear.