Chapter 1- The Accident

Okay, so the first chapter is kind of boring with all the introductions but trust me it really does get better, just please at least give it a try I think you'll really like it! I would also appreciate if you commented and let me know what you're thinking. Thank you Guys!

Chapter 1- The Accident

The accident happened a year ago today, on June 7, 2016 my father got in the crash. Today, the sun is shining and it glimmers off the dewy grass, not matching my mood whatsoever. I wake up as usual and stick to the routine, brush my knotted brown hair, pick out my clothes at the last minute, and wait for the phone call. The one telling me that my father has finally woken up, but deep down knowing that day may never come. Lost in my thoughts I barely hear the phone ring. When I rush to pick it up I hear my best friend Leah on the other end.

"Lou, are you coming? I've been waiting for you for ten minutes now, we're going to miss the bus!" She says.

As always, Leah's keeping me on track. She's the friend everyone sees as perfect. Perfect blonde hair, perfect family, perfect life. I'm the one people hardly see at all. Brown hair, brown eyes and nose usually buried in a book. It's okay though because we balance each other out.

"Sorry, I'm on my way right now." I say, sticking a waffle in my mouth.

I spot her at the bus stop talking to some guy, which isn't unusual for her. She's had plenty of dates and could have anyone she wants. I on the other hand, am 17 and have only ever gotten close to a first kiss. It ended up going haywire and I was left alone on the park bench. Boys.

"Lou, hellooo!!! Are you in there?" Leah says tapping me on the forehead.

"Oh sorry, what?" I reply, still thinking about how embarrassing that was.

"I was asking if you made up your mind on whether or not your going to the dance?" Leah asks me in a pleading tone.

"The dance? The one that's in three months? Why are you even thinking about that, it's so far away." I answer, knowing it's going to be boring anyway.

"Because. We need to find you a date! Duh." Leah says, like it will be sooo easy.

"Haha, you're funny. I doubt a guy's going to want to go with me." I said. It's not necessarily because of my looks, it's just been hard for me after my dads accident and all, to open up to people. I've sort of shut out the world but I'm lucky to have Leah there for me. Again as I'm standing there thinking about all sorts of things, I hear a horn being honked and then I'm in someone's arms.

Before I know it I'm looking at a guy, probably 6ft tall holding on to me. He has brown hair and blue eyes that look amazing in the sun. Not that I was paying attention, but he's definitely muscular and we'll leave it at that.

"You okay there?" I realize he's talking to me.

"Uh, yeah I'm fine, just didn't see that car coming." I reply. Wow that made me sound blind. How smooth am I, right?

"Are you sure" he says, "do you need to sit down?"

At that moment I realize I have tears in my eyes. It must have been because I was thinking about what happened to my dad. Crap.

"No, really I'm fine. Thank you." I say, wiping the tears from my eyes.

"I'm Will." He says with a slight smile.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lou." Right then I realize I'm still in his arms. My face turning bright red must make him realize too, because he lets me go.

"Well, I should go. Thanks again, see you around." I tell him.

"Yeah, no problem, I'll save your life anytime. See you around." He replies with a small grin. Before I say anything else Leah pulls me on the bus.

"Okay, spill. Who was that!" She says excitedly as she's hitting my arm.

"What do you mean?" I reply playing dumb.

"That guy you were talking to. You know, the one who totally liked you?" Leah answers like it was extremely obvious, not.

Why does she even think he likes me? Am I really that stupid where I can't pick up on flirting? Saving a life does not seem like flirting to me! Ahh! Why do boys have to be so confusing? Oh well, I thought to myself.

"Oh my gosh Leah! He did not and he just pulled me out of the way from a car." I say getting slightly annoyed with all her questions.

"You say that like it's no big deal. That could have gone really badly, but it's also super romantic!" Leah responds showing the concern in her voice.

When I look over at her I can tell how excited she is for me. I'm glad she wants to make sure things go well for me, but in a way it makes me feel kind-of pathetic. I mean, I don't think I'm that desperate!

"Ok, lets change the subject." I tell her, hoping she will understand.

"Ok," she says, "how's your dad doing?"

Ugh. Not a question about my dad. I love my friend and all, but boy can she pry! I guess that's what she's here for.

"Never mind. How about we just don't talk for awhile?" I ask.

That's the thing about Leah. She understands that I sometimes just want to think, which is one of the reasons we're such good friends. For the rest of the bus ride we're silent. Leah texts away and I think about Will. When we get off the bus I trip and fall but before I hit the ground I catch myself. I make it to my locker with minimal embarrassment. After I grab my stuff, I head to my AP History class. There sitting right behind my spot is, you guessed it, Will. Aren't I so lucky? Not. Out of all the people. Awkwardly I take my seat and don't say a word. Class starts and the teacher lectures us on the Civil War, which I already know all about. So as usual I zone out. When I'm thinking about my dad, a small piece of paper appears on my desk.

I open it up. -Hi Lou- I turn around to find Will grinning. He remembered my name?

I write back, -Hi Will-. Then toss the note back. A couple seconds later it reappears.

-Is this boring or what?- He writes.

-Ya think? So you're new?- I reply and toss the note back. The note comes back again.

-Yup- He responds.

Ok then. Pretty blunt answer. That's the end of note writing for me. The bell rings and I hurry out of class embarrassed. Before anyone talks to me I rush to the bathroom. Just another day in Paradise. After staying in the bathroom for a good ten minutes, I head back out to my locker. When I get there I realize a set of numbers on the outside. -920-286-4378- Okay, weird right? I quickly gather my things and stuff the note in my pocket. As the day goes on I can't stop thinking about the note. Finally, the last bell rings. I haven't seen Will at all after AP History so we either have no other classes together or he's avoiding me. Probably the second one. I decide I'd rather walk home instead of taking the bus and possibly running into him, because, well we know how that would go. When I get to my small, pale, yellow house the sadness of missing my dad returns. It wasn't always like this. We used to live in a really nice place until the accident and my dad could no longer work. My mom had to take up three jobs so I hardly ever see her anymore. When I glance up I see moving trucks down the road. I can't believe someone actually bought the Rockefeller's house! That thing needs a lot of work. The windows are broken and the faded gray paint is pealing off. I've never been inside but I doubt it's anything pretty. I take one last glance and head inside.
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone! So what did you think of the first chapter? Pretty jam packed right? Comment and tell me what you think!!! Don't worry it's about to get a whole lot better! Pleaseee vote this chapter! Love you guys!❤️❤️❤️