Guard duty

Erin cleared his throat as he glanced about the hall, checking for any unwanted passersby. "How much longer do you think?"

"She was gone for what?" James asked. "Three weeks?"

"Almost a month."

James' eye flicked to the candles where the notches in the side marked the passage of time. They'd been standing there for nearly two hours. "Another fifteen min–"

"Cullen!" The moan was echoed by a deep snarl behind the door they guarded. "Yes, yes!"

Erin started whistling, his cheeks warming slightly as he rechecked the hallways. James joined him a moment later with a hum, the pair of them managing to block out most of the moans that started to follow.

James took a breath and said, "Half an hour?" before humming again.

"At least."

"Still though," James said, speaking between chords. "It's not all bad–last time it was me on duty–the pair of them were in the garden–absolute nightmare–me and Jim had to go around–jamming all the doors to keep their privacy–there was one very–disgruntled Sister in the Chantry–when we finally opened the doors again."

Erin's chuckle died as footsteps grew closer. He and James increased their volume, drawing back tight against the door to make it clear that no entry was allowed.

The man–an Orlesian by the mask he wore and the bits of lace and silk worked into his clothes–stopped beside them with a huff. "Would you desist with that infernal racket? Some of us are trying to sleep."

"New policy," Erin said without missing a beat. "All guards are supposed to make noise at night–lets you know they're all right. It's silence you need to worry about."

"Policy?" the man asked, skepticism dripping off the word.

Another moan began to rise behind the door coupled with a deep set of grunts. Erin want back to whistling, trying to keep an innocent expression on his face as he and James stared down the noble. He left a moment later in a bigger huff than when he'd arrived.

The two kept up the haphazard, uneven song until the noise behind the doors quieted down.

"D'you think they're done?" James asked.

Erin pressed an ear against the door. Laughter came through the other side, muffled conversation followed by a sharper, "Where do you think you're going?" The laughter heightened into a shriek of giggles before the sound cut off with another low moan. "There are so many things I want to do to you, Inquisitor."

Erin drew back with a light groan of his own.

"Tea, then?" James asked.

"Something to eat too, if you don't mind." He pinched the skin between his eyes, grumbling under his breath towards the Inquisitor and Commander as Erin went off to get them something to eat.

It was going to be a long night.