infatuation

Five years later.

Serena POV

A lot can happen in these five years. Things and people fall apart. Hearts get broken, healed slowly, and then shattered again. People change, some for the better, some for the worse. Soul mates are found in the most random places.

Dreams are chased and, in some cases, realized. Friends become strangers; enemies become friends, and sometimes more. Many tears are shed, smiles brighten faces and serial daters settle down with the one person everyone thought would never last.

Most importantly, life goes on, no matter what.

The years that had passed since I bade Ash a tearful farewell at lumiose Airport had been eventful, to say the least.

May, Dawn and I made it a point to get together at least once a week for dinner and gossip after high school. I never really had much to contribute to the conversation in regards to relationship talk but that had never hindered us before. May and I mostly listened to Dawn as she gushed about Paul before we got a chance to talk about ourselves, but we were used to that, even expected it.

Dawn surprised us all by dating Paul for far longer than anyone could have imagined. I had been forced to eat my words and concede that Paul was probably the best thing to happen to flaky Dawn for a long time. Sure, he was cold, overly responsible and slightly boring but his calmness kept Dawn's ditzy nature in check. Still, sometimes, May and I would look at each other, clearly wondering what had happened to our serial dating friend.

"I never thought I would see the day when Dawn would be having a five year anniversary of anything, let alone a relationship," May had muttered to me as we watched Dawn and Paul whisper to each other across the table. But they were crazy in love and happy, which was all that mattered to us. Trust me; an unhappy Dawn is a force to be reckoned with.

Nobody wants to see that.

Paul was successful in his own right; nobody could accuse him of being a male gold digger, even with the expensive gifts Dawn showered him with. He went to university on a soccer scholarship and got drafted in his freshman year and went on to play for the Lumiose Giants. Of course, Dawn dragged May and me to several of his games to 'support him'. Dawn ended up taking a makeup artistry class after high school, surprising nobody when she graduated top of her class. If there was one thing that girl was passionate about, it was makeup. Her reason for taking the course?

Rolling her eyes when I asked her, she explained, "So that I can look like a celebrity when I put on my makeup. Duh!"

Classic Dawn.

May shocked her parents by choosing to go to university to obtain a bachelor's degree in Sociology rather than hang out at home and 'live like a Kardashian'.

Her words, not mine.

"You don't have to work, you're an heiress!" May's mom spoke, trying to reason with her stubborn daughter, who was immovable.

May wouldn't hear of it. "But I want to help people who need my help."

Finally, after a long and protracted argument with her parents, who didn't understand why in the world May would want to pursue higher learning after she had graduated high school. May got her way and attended University at the behest of her father. It might have been reluctant about May's future plans, but if she insisted on following her dreams, she was going to follow them at an League school. Hell, she definitely could afford it!

Over dinner the summer before we started university, May explained to me why she wanted to study Sociology and have a career when she didn't need to.