chapter 35

"We're safe," [Name] breathed out, making it outside.

For now.

She wasn't given a moment to catch her breath, though, for it seemed that the whole castle had suddenly turned against her. Darknuts and bulblins streamed out of the palace, all equipped with claymores and clubs.

"Oh, Nayru..." she muttered, picking up speed again. She took out one cluster of the hunchback creatures, creating an opening for herself to advance forward. She then rushed away -- off the castle's premises, down to Central Castle Town. Evading those monsters was a lot easier than expected.

The barrier seemed to have them trapped inside, but she was able to walk through normally.

The village was pretty much barren. None of her neighbors, or Hylian soldiers could be seen. Actually, there weren't any Hylian soldiers in the castle, either. There were the darknuts, of course, but she wondered what happened to Zelda's. . .

Zelda..?

She lowered Demise's sword, head turning back to face the castle. Just the sight of it triggered a sense of alarm. She could practically smell the putrid odors of the dungeon, and the shrieking battle-cries of bulblins driven by nothing but bloodlust.

...And Zelda's body, lying cold in front of a malicious Ganondorf.

Dragging the sword against wheat-colored gravel, [Name] made her way down the South Road, approaching the small nook hiding Telma's Bar. The lights were on -- lively voices laughing from inside.

[Name] hated to be the killjoy, but right now she wanted nothing but the silence of her bedroom. She swung open the doors. As expected, the laughter died down within seconds of spotting her.

"Welcome back, [Na-- oh..." Shad was the first to speak, cutting himself flat as he took in the girl's ragged form. Torn clothes and ratted hair made for quite an unexpected appearance - and, inevitably, raised a lot of questions.

First came the obvious: "What happened?!"

"I just want to sleep..." Staggering into the bar, smelling of warm bread and salted meats, she pushed past Telma and trudged upstairs. Demise's sword scraped against the wood, leaving behind indented streaks.

"Hey, [Name]..!" She heard Auru call, though Telma quickly shushed him.

"Let her be!" she hissed.

[Name] collapsed onto her bed, carelessly dropping her sword on the ground. She removed her sheath from her hip, tossing her other sword next to it. And she shoved her face into her pillow, releasing the ugliest sobs her body could muster.

Her shoulders rose and fell in hitched intervals, voice quivering as she sighed out gentle gasps. The mattress felt heavenly from beneath her, but not even that comfort could distract her from the impending guilt.

She... could have saved the princess. It's her own fault, that Hyrule's future queen was taken from this world, at such a young age... That the monarchy was left to be toyed with by Ganon of all people. He had won, and she had let him. Years of terror will pass by now, and [Name] would have to live knowing she was the one who prevented this country from happiness.

The wise Zelda probably had a plan to reclaim the throne, but she ruined it by disobeying commands...

"If you're going to be so emotional, you really must muffle it better. No one wants to hear your ugly wails."

[Name]'s head lifted, snapping her attention to the back of the room. Ghirahim was leaning against the wall, sword spirit form intact. Because of his taller, bulkier appearance, and slicked-up hairstyle, it took her a moment to recognize him. Her eyes flicked over to the white diamond perched on his embers-hued chest. When she looked up again, she met his gaze.