chapter 26

a/n: i was too lazy to write the getting-off-the-raft scene but it involved lots of screaming and ghira grumbles .A.

also i dont have a question this time hahaha :P

The Gate of Time was not where [Name] initially thought it was, nor was it anywhere close. It had nothing to do with the Temple of Time. Although it's true there was a similar door at the Temple, the door wouldn't allow whoever passed through it to select which time they traveled to.

The Gate was hidden behind a large sand dune up in the Arbiter's Grounds. Like a thunderhead, the sand crowded around it, shielding it from onlookers. [Name] was surprised that Ghirahim was able to find it, but she supposed he could sniff it out... or something.

He led her through the dust storm-like barrier, and standing in the center was the large, dormant Gate of Time. It emitted a blue-violet glow, lit with various motifs. She recognized the four prominent signs, the Triforce, and the gems of the golden goddesses, Din, Nayru, and Farore.

"[Name]," Ghirahim called. She snapped her head away from the Gate, turning to face the demon. Her expression was enough to ask what he needed. "We will resurrect my master first," he decided.

Figures.

"But won't that kill me?" She pried. Her goal was much easier to obtain, she assumed, and wouldn't take long. Resurrecting the King of Demons, on the other hand...

"You'll get what you want either way. Your parents are dead, too, after all."

...Wow.

She would be indignant, but then she remembered that she never once told him the reason why she wanted to utilize the Gate. She pursed her lips.

"How'd you know that?"

"That leads us off topic... For now, let us continue." He cleared his throat, flipping through the Ancient Sky Book. The spell to replenish the Dominion Rod's power was aching to roll of his tongue, and she was longing to hear it.

And so he began reciting the runes:

"Eossha—"

But of course, there always was someone who'd barge in and ruin everything. At least this time it wasn't Link.

Eerie twilight clouded [Name]'s vision, which was already obscured by the harsh sand whirling around her. She immediately latched onto Ghirahim's forearm, recognizing the foreign aura as Zant's.

The King of Twilight was perched up above the sandstorm. He didn't make a dramatic, clamorous unveiling like Ghirahim would have; he simply stood motionless in the air. He seemed to be surveying the two below him.

"...So we meet again," Zant murmured, and [Name]'s eyelashes swept upward as he disintegrated into twilight. She whipped her head around, searching for him, and was alarmed to feel his hot breath sighing against her neck.

"I admit it was a surprise to hear that you managed to survive. Seems that imp still retained some of her former strength. However," she felt his arms, thin beneath his oversized robes, envelope around her. "I will ensure that this doesn't happen again."

Before she could struggle, his hold tightened. She lifted a leg and thrusted a hard kick backwards, landing a blow on his stomach. Although he recoiled, he kept up an unfazed façade.

She lunged toward Ghirahim, readying to fight alongside him. However she skidded to a halt when he raised a hand in front of her.

Red and yellow diamonds filtered the usual colors she could see; and she realized he had trapped her in a barrier.

Right, right, this was his way of protecting her. She wasn't keen on the idea of just watching from the sidelines, since she had equipped herself with a sword now. She was perfectly capable.

"This is unnecessary; I can fight," she declared, pounding against the walls. Unlike the last barrier, this one was impenetrable.

"I beg to differ, love," Ghirahim strode over to her, bending down to eye level. She glowered.

"There's nothing to—"

"I must applaud you," he interrupted. For now, Zant was idly standing to the side, watching with his piercing chameleon-eyed gaze. That was the first red flag. He wasn't attacking Ghirahim.

The Demon Lord continued: "You were smart to reject me. It would've been easier on my part if you hadn't, but I suppose it didn't matter all that much. You've always been malleable. As much as you thought otherwise..."

[Name]'s eyes widened in disbelief.

"I thought we—"

"So did I," he muttered. She furrowed her brows, though said nothing. The barrier around her dissipated, and she immediately unsheathed her sword. She swung it down, aiming for the demon's shoulder, though he caught it with a gloved hand.

He tilted it aside, and leaned into her face again. His lips ghosted against hers for just a moment, before he moved them to the shell of her ear.

"I hope you enjoy, Miss Yiga, your final hour with the King of Shadows," he said, then shoved her a few feet to the side into Zant's waiting arms.

"Ghira—"

For the umpteenth time that morning, she was cut off again. Though this time, by the sudden updraft of wind rushing against her ears as Zant levitated into the air.

"You stupid bastard. . ."

a/n

i fuckig hate betrayal stories why did i even write this

it's plot relevant but i still hate myself ugh

I'm also upset because i've been playing Zelda since i was a kid and i just realized that faron, eldin, and lanayru are based off the golden goddesses' names

hOW

WHAT

WHO AM I