five

-Luna Malfoy-

Stella and I found a place in one of the Slytherins' cabins. We were all alone, as Stella wasn't the type of person who'd befriend everyone. She had a tad bit of coldness, chances are that she just enjoyed solitude.

"You know, Lu, there's no reason to be afraid of where you'll get sorted in," Stella's voice had surprisingly softened.

"I thought we've already gone through this. It's alright, I don't really care anymore," I lied.

"Even someone who just met you could tell it bothers you a lot. No worries though. If it really means that much to you, you can choose Gryffindor. The Sorting Hat takes your choice into account."

"Really?"

"Really. I did the same, The Sorting Hat wanted to put me in Gryffindor at first. But I knew who I wanted to be at heart. As Uncle Harry once told me, it's our choices that show us who we are, far more than our abilities. And I am really proud to be a cunning, ambitious witch."

I didn't know what to say. Just as a bizarre silence was about to take place, a woman shouted behind my ear: 

 Just as a bizarre silence was about to take place, a woman shouted behind my ear: 

"Yes, two Chocolate Frog Cards, please," replied Stella, in an unusually kind tone.

"Here you go!"

Stella quickly paid for them before tossing one to me.

"Open it, but don't let the fro-" 

A chocolate frog hopped of my package and got out of the window as I stared gawking. Stella rolled her eyes.

"Nevermind."

"Hey look! There's a moving picture here! It says, Albus Dumbledore, isn't that the old principal of Hogwarts that Uncle Harry talked about all the time?"

"Yeah," she snatched it from my hand. "Died at September 1996 because of a curse that spread on his body," she read. 

"That's sad, I wonder what it was. And you've got Uncle Harry on your card! Let me see... 'The only acknowledged person to have survived the death curse. Has beaten Voldemort.' " 

"Has he really? I mean, on his first and second year, Voldemort popped through a person and a diary. Later, the Death Eater / Auror impersonator guy they caught confessed that he was aiding to a Voldemort reviving ritual and that he had set the Triwizard Cup as a portkey. Who knows what would have happened if Cedric Diggory wasn't the first to find it? Can we say Voldemort is wiped off the surface of the earth?" 

Stella's questioning made me uncomfortable. This wasn't really the topic I wanted to talk about on my way to where I could call a second home. I tried to end the topic.

"Even though she is not our biological mother, you really resemble Hermione when you question the course of the events."

She smiled heartwarmingly. "Thanks."

As I was going to reply her with a 'You're welcome' , a loud whistle was heard. Stella stepped on the red leather couch and imitated a man's voice with her left fist at heart, "Ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived to Hogsmeade Station."

She got off and after a short series of laughter, we took our suitcases and got out of the train. A grand man with hair longer than mine was shouting, "All the first years here please!"

I took one last glance to Stella, who was already directed towards carriages and then joined in the group of children my age in front of the huge man. 

"Name's Hagrid. Yer going to follow me. We'll be using the boats to get to the castle."

Some of the kids seemed to be afraid of him but he looked quite harmless to me. Nevertheless, they obeyed. After a little walk, we reached near the lake. I tripped when trying to get on the boat and before Hagrid could catch me, I was in the freezing water. It was dark and the water seemed to cover me by every second. Unable to move in the cold, I began to suffocate. I was thinking that I lost it. At that instant, two big arms picked me up. Hagrid put his coat on me, which was twice my size, so it was fuzzy like a blanket.

"Happens every year," he stated matter-of-factly. 

Since everyone had got on, the boats moved slowly through the lake, with no one needing to row. Magic was cool.

When we reached to the castle side, Hagrid suddenly lifted me and placed me on the land. "Just in case." He smiled. And I smiled back.

Immediately upon our arrival to the enormous castle with gothic features, lightened by hanging lanterns, an elderly woman greeted us. 

"I am Minerva McGonagall, the head of Gryffindor and your Transfiguration teacher in every year." She grinned. If only I knew it was one of the rare times her mouth formed a type of smile.

"In a short while, you'll be sorted by a hat into one of the four houses in Hogwarts. Is there anyone who doesn't know what these houses are?" There was a small pause. She continued after letting out a sigh. "Alright, we are going to go to the Dining Hall right now and each of you will sit on the wood stool when I call your name."

There where whisperings here and there. I was trembling with excitement, my eyes searched for a person I could share my feelings with, but everyone seemed occupied. Therefore I followed Professor McGonagall, trying not to show much from outside. 

We were soon in front of a giant door. It was opened with a flick of Professor's wand and after her hush sign, we walked to the middle of the room on her lead, with tranquility. And every minute seemed to feel like a year. Finally, my moment had come.

"Luna Malfoy."

I stepped out, feeling everyone's eyes on me. I flinched when I suddenly heard a voice a centimeter upon my head. And then an old hat was placed upon my head.

"Hmm... This is one of the tough ones. Your kindness makes think of Hufflepuff but you have Gryffindor's loyalty, that's incontrovertible. However, that could also be considered as a Hufflepuff treat. I'm stuck in-between. Do you have any ideas?"

"Well, if I already have two Hufflepuff treats let it be it. My house doesn't exactly define who I'll become anyway." I was surprised that these words actually came out my mind. If it was another day, I'd perhaps go on with Gryffindor but I have learned an important lesson today. I smiled at the thought of Hermione smiling, proud of how mature I acted.

"Okay then," The Sorting Hat murmured. "Hufflepuff it is!"

The Hufflepuff table at the very left of the room roared whilst other houses applauded. And as I approached to my new family, my eyes found Stella. She beamed at me.

We both knew I had made the right choice.

+++

Hope you found the chapter sweet, just as I did! My chapters are starting to get longer like the previous book, when the adventure is about to start :)

Your thoughts so far?