Chapter 23: Jummah

~KK's POV~

I threw those stupid roses away. Looking at them only made my blood boil. The thought of someone else sending Khadijah gifts in such manner was intolerable. I drove back to work to finish off the review of some new samples of anti histamines. I got out the lab and back into my office, I took my lab coat off and placed it on my coat rack and swiftly put on my vinyl of some Rihanna. I needed to lie down and think. Think of how to ask a man if I can marry his daughter. How does one asking a man to take his daughter away from his home? I lied down on my couch after closing the blinds, blocking all sunlight coming in my office. I had given Janice the rest of the afternoon off, something about her cat's vet appointment.

My head was resting on the pillow with my eyes closed. Trying to think.

Hey Mr Hadid, can I marry your daughter?
Mr Hadid I would like to propose for your daughters hand in marriage
Mr Hadid please let me marry your daughter I'm crazy for her
Mr Hadid. Nothing would make me happier in this world than to marry your daughter, Khadijah.

Ugh no. Nothing was good enough. I sounded either too desperate or too whiny. I need to impress this man, he is after all my potential father-in-law. 'In Shaa' Allah. If he declines I don't know what I would do. I'd have to prove to him that I am indeed worthy of marrying his daughter. Persistence is key, I believe. Especially when it comes to the Hadid's. I mean I did ask Khadijah to marry me 7 times before she actually said yes finally.

Mr Hadid. You will not find anyone better suited for your daughter than I. I'll love her until the day I die.

He'll punch me in the face for that. Heck I'd even punch myself in the face for saying that to him. Nothing seemed right. Nothing. What was I missing?

I heard a knock on my door and my automatic response was "I'm busy." But the door opened anyway. Only three people would do this; Baba, Sayid or Wael. It was Wael my older brother.

"Sup baby bro, how's it going over here in the geek dungeons?" Wael insulted as he came and sat beside me. I had my head resting in the palm of my hands.

"Awful. Come to Jummah prayer with me in Central in case Mr Hadid decides to beat me to a pulp." I sighed

"You're going to ask today?" Wael jumped up. My brothers and Amelia knew all about Khadijah. Mum knows I have a little crush on her and I think my brothers have hinted to my dad. Everyone seems happy with my decision Alhamdulillah. It's just whether her father will accept or not. I'm terrified.

"Yeah. I just want to be married already." I confessed

"I know the feeling bud. And trust me, in the end it's all worth it." Wael patted me on my shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll be there. But I think  Baba and Sayid have gone to Beijing this week"

"Yeah, I'm hoping if Mr Hadid accepts then our dads will just talk it out later on."

"You sure about this girl?" Asked Wael. I took a deep sigh before I replied to him.

"She's all I think about. When I look at her, I feel happiness. When she smiles it makes my heart melt. And when she laughs, I can't help but have butterflies in my stomach. I'm falling for her and I want to do this right. Keep it halal." I expressed "I've been praying so much that she accepts me, that her family accepts me. She's taken over my duas."

"Then approach him with confidence. And reassure him, no other man will be able to take care of her as well as you will" advised Wael, "that's his main concern. How well you'll be able to take care of his daughter and raise his grandkids."

I nodded my head, I was very lucky to have my two big brothers advice me like this. I couldn't imagine going through this alone. I had one hour left till Jummah so I decided to go home, shower and get ready.

A nice cool shower cleared my head and relaxed my muscles. I trimmed my beard a little making it more clean cut. I've kept this beard for a year now and am very happy with the results. I wonder what Khadijah thinks of it? I got dressed in a clean shirt and tie as I had to go back to work after it. I put on some athar and made my way. I let my hair naturally dry in the car while I was driving with the windows down, then fixing it up in the rear view mirror.

I walked up the mosque stairs in terror. I saw Mr Hadid in his usual place with the twins. They saw me and instantly smirked. I liked the twins very much so, they're funny and loyal. They're always there for Khadijah when she needs them. They're like the little brothers I never had. I approached Mr Hadid as the prayers were about to start

"Assalamualikum Mr Hadid" I politely greeted him

"Waalikumaaalam Kol, what's with the formalities? Just call me Abdul uncle" he said in his jolly voice. Little did he know, I wanted to call him father not uncle. The prayers began and I was focused completely on them. As we finished, I prayed once again that Allah (swt) grants me the honour of marrying Khadijah.

"Uncle I would like to ask you something." I said in a small voice, still terrified.

"Anything Kol, what is it?"

"I would like to marry your daughter." I blurted out without thinking. I ripped off the band aid. And now, time to get ready to run in case he hits me.

"Which one?" He said in a more serious voice

"K-kh-Khadijah. Sir." I looked down

"Kol why should I accept you to marry my oldest daughter?"

"Because I can provide for her, I've been working in the family business for 4 years now. And it's not something that I've pawned off my father. No sir, I built my lab and to the success it is today. I know the value of hard earned money. I also believe that no other man in this world will be able to take care of Khadijah the way she deserves. I truly believe an individual is who they are by the way they were raised. You've known my father for years now. And with your blessing, I would like to ask for Khadijah's hand in marriage. Sir." I declared.

Mr Hadid's face was more relaxed and calm. "Son, it's okay. Breathe. I'll talk to Khadijah and see what she says. If it's a yes then I'll talk to your dad. If she doesn't say yes then there is nothing I can do about that, you do understand?"

"Yes, absolutely. Uncle." I couldn't hide my smile at all. Of course Khadijah would say yes, this was all part of her plan. My mind was a peace and my heard felt happy. Truly happy. Like skipping down sessame street whistling show towns happy.

I turned around and saw Wael looking with question. I simply smiled and winked, he understood. The twins then approached me with huge grins on their faces

"Is Kol Khan about to become our brother in law?" Navid asked

"I have a feeling he might," laughed Zaid as he patted me on my shoulder.

"Alright alright. The plans not quite done yet. I need Khadijah to accept" I replied

"She will in a heartbeat. As much as she doesn't like to admit it, she wants to get married just as badly as you" said Navid.

"Alright you little spies, go call your sister. I'm sure she's dying to know." I smiled and then walked back to my car. I can't remember the last time I was ever this truly happy and excited.