Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"I know that you won't believe me, but I saw a UFO in my backyard last week," Arthur told me while we waited for the bus. Dan, meanwhile, attempted to fix his electric blue hair, occasionally glancing in Arthur's direction.

"Arthur, this is the seventeenth UFO you've seen this summer," I said. "Of course I don't believe you."

"Actually, it's the eighteenth," Arthur said. "You must have forgotten about one of them. Besides, this one is different."

All of a sudden, our school bus pulled up to the stop. Dan, Arthur, and I all boarded the bus. Dan immediately went to the back of the bus, while Arthur and I sat together near the middle. I took the window seat, while Arthur sat near the aisle. Once the bus was on its way, Arthur and I resumed our conversation. "How is it different?" I asked.

"I'm absolutely certain that this one really is an alien spacecraft," Arthur said. "I have proof, and it's in my backyard. The UFO is still there."

"What does it look like?" I asked.

"It's basically a shiny metal tube with fins at the bottom," Arthur explained. "I haven't gotten a chance to go inside because of all of the construction going on at my house, but it's there. I promise I'm not making this up."

"When did you see the rocket?" I asked. Arthur's description sounded mysteriously similar to the spaceship I saw shortly before Dan arrived, but that didn't prove anything.

"Last Wednesday," Arthur said.

"That was when Dan showed up," I said.

"Who's Dan?" Arthur asked.

"The Albanian exchange student that's living with my family," I said. "I thought I told you about this."

"You did text me about that," Arthur said. "I just forgot."

"I think I might have seen your UFO too," I said. "I saw something land in your backyard right before Dan came."

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier?!" Arthur exclaimed. "If you saw it, then I have a second witness, and I might be able to prove that aliens actually came."

"Just because I saw it doesn't mean that it's really an alien spacecraft," I said.

"What else could it be?" Arthur asked.

"I don't know, actually," I said. "It did look exactly like a spaceship."

"That's my point," Arthur said. "Also, I saw something coming out of the side of the spaceship right after it landed, and I'm pretty sure it was an alien."

"What did it look like?" I asked.

"I didn't get a good view of his face...wait, I'm not entirely sure that it was a guy," Arthur said. "The alien certainly sounded male though, and they had a humanoid shape. I helped them out of their spaceship, and led them into my house, but before I knew it, they disappeared."

"Arthur, I'm pretty sure that was a human," I said.

"Why were they flying in a spaceship, then?" Arthur asked.

"Maybe it was an airplane," I said.

"It didn't look like an airplane," Arthur argued. "I don't know of any airplane that looks like that."

The bus arrived at Spragueville High School, and everyone on the bus got off and entered the school. "Let me see your schedule," I said. "I want to see if we have any classes together."

Arthur handed me his schedule, and I looked it over. Unfortunately, Arthur and I had only two classes together. "We have lunch and Algebra II together," I told him.