1~ Diner Dash

Most things in life are simple.

School, books, writing, dogs. All simple things.

Family could even be simple, but not in my case.

My family was very, very, very, very, VERY, complicated.

"You bastard! How the hell could you do this to me?" Glass shattered against the wall upstairs.

"I didn't do anything to you! You knew about this all along, don't blame me that she found out!" Dad's voice screamed.

I hugged my little brother closer to me. We were in our quaint, little living room, sitting on the only piece of furniture save for the coffee table the t.v. rested on. I put my hands over Eric's ears, sliding them into his mop of brown curls. He held my wrists tight, smashing my palms to his head so he couldn't hear. He hated when they fought. It always upset him. I wish there was someone to cover my ears, too.

"Elsa, where are you going?"

"I can't live in this house with that- that thing! What if it turns on us? Huh? What are you going to do then?" For the first time in an hour, there was complete and utter silence in the house. My sweatshirt sleeves were soaked from Eric's tears, the water turning the fabric a dark gray. I didn't breath for a moment, my heart stopping but at the same time feeling like it was going to beat out of my chest.

"That thing is our child, Elsa." Dad's voice was barely controlled, the calm before the storm.

"No, it's not, John, it's an abomination! And now that she knows, I can't put up with the act anymore. I'm leaving." I heard the thud of a suitcase from upstairs hit the ground. "Expect the divorce papers in the mail."

Heavy footsteps pounded down the stairs. I looked over the couch to see my mother, a frail little thing with ash brown hair, standing there frozen, suitcase in hand. She made it down the last step and looked at me with sad eyes.

"Ariel-"

"Just go." I couldn't even look at her. What she said about- well, everything, made me see the person she truly was. I hadn't cried during this whole ordeal, but frustrated tears seared in my eyes, threatening to spill over. Eric held me tighter to him, not letting go for a second.

"Sweethear-

"The only abomination here, is you!" I faced forward, shaking my head and unable to look at the woman I thought would love me unconditionally and never leave me. Leave us. "Just go." My voice was barely above a whisper, but I knew she heard it. I didn't look back as I heard the door close with a small click.

And then, she was gone.

6 years later...

Rain drops splattered against the window a second before the windshield wiper pushed them away, out of my vision. I glanced down at the GPS, confirming that the exit I needed was coming up in the next two miles. I didn't have to look at Dad or Eric to know they were both conked out,  sounding like lawn mowers in their sleep. Oddly enough, it was comforting.