Chapter 34

I bit my lip as my rebellious finger went off key again. I know I'm a little rusty at music at the moment, but I thought I would be able to still play if the music was right in front of me. Yet my hand kept on wondering and hitting the wrong keys. At this point I'm not sure if I've lost all talent or if my subconscious just hates the song I'm playing.

I glared childishly at the piano and folded the music book, before standing up and shoving it into the hidden compartment in my piano stool. A flash of bright pink caught my eye. I dug through the sheet music until I came across the bright pink folder. It had hearts and flowers doodled on it and in big, bold letters it read: Piano Sheets.

My face lit up as I opened it and marveled at the once plain music sheets. Now covered in my sloppy teenage scrawl. My own music. The one folder with every composition I have ever written on one side and blank music sheets ready to be engraved with music notes on the other. My prized possession as an aspiring musician. My baby.

I pulled out a very upbeat composition I wrote in a three hour sitting for me first ever live performance. It is a feeling you get when playing your own compositions. You never can forget how to play them because they are your own. They are uniquely me. Uniquely America.

I took one small peek at the beginning of the music sheet and than closed my eyes. Letting my mind lead my fingers in a dance across the piano. I loved my old music, yet I can seem to find a meaning in each song. The lyrics that went with the music didn't have a muse. They were just words on a page. They weren't about something that Inspires me. They were just there. It made me sad that no that time of my life I had no inspiration.

I stopped playing the music and banged my hands on the keys. This wasn't working. Having pity for my old life wasn't the ideal train of thought for these lyrics About dancing and singing your heart out.  I hugged and banged my head on the keys once again. My ears practically perked up as an array of long and complicated, yet beautiful notes spewed from the piano. I banged my head again and heard it once more.

It took a couple tries, but after about a half hour of scrutinizing the placement of my head, I was able to get the exact keys. I couldn't help the smile that lit up my face as I played the notes repeatedly. It was the beginning of the amazing chorus to my next composition. A couple issues though. I can't think of Any lyrics to accompany the melody. And I only have about 30 seconds of music. I need a bridge, introduction, etc. etc. ugh!

I decided on a simple introduction. Something musicians use a lot. They take the lowest note in the chorus and they play it repeatedly with a couple seconds in between each note. It's simple, but once you put lyrics to it, it sounds amazing.

I couldn't help the huge smile that burst upon my face like a firework, as I scribbled down the notes I was playing. I didn't even have to stop playing to create a bridge between the chorus and introduction. All I did was add in a couple notes that signaled the key change. And I flowed right into the chorus after that. Than I wrote it down and began again.

I hummed the tune lightly to myself as I went to grab a tape recorder. After I finished the intro, bridge, and chorus everything was just tweeks. Little changes in tempo or key to make it different than the rest of the song. I set the revised down and hit the little red button. I replayed the whole song again without even peeking at the sheet music. It had an Inspiration which set it apart from every other composition I have ever written.

My love for Maxon.

If only it had lyrics...

I groaned as banged my head on the keys again. Yet this time it didn't give me any inspiration for lyrics. It just made a loud, ugly noise that the rest of the 4th floor probably didn't appreciate very much.

"Don't Injure your beautiful face," Maxon's voice called to me. "No picture I have of you will ever compare to seeing you in person."

"Are you saying you only Married me for my beauty?" I teased and turned to face him.

"No," he said, a smile playing on his perfect lips. "It's just an added bonus."

I stood up and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Is that so..."

He mumbled something incoherently as he molded his lips against mine.

"I'll never get tired of kissing you," Maxon murmured.

"Give it a couple of years..." I mock disagreed.

"Let's give it forever."

"Okay," I whispered breathlessly as I pulled his chin gently until his lips met mine again.

"I love you," Maxon mumbled.

"I love you more," I reminded him.

"Impossible," he disagreed.

I shook my head as if loving him was a burden.

"Why can't we love each other to equal lengths?"

"Because than it would be a lie. Because i love you more."

He just shook his head and brought his lips back to mine.

~oOo~

"Why has this not made an appearance lately?" Maxon asked

I just shook my head, not willing to look at whatever he was referring too. I was stressed. What is the uniform dress code for touring your country than the world? Does anyone know? Because I don't.

"America calm down," he sighed. "The country will love you no matter what you're wearing. As will I."

"Even if I wear that?" I teased gesturing to the very short dress I wore shopping once. I'm starting to think he loves that dress more than me. Or maybe it's when it's on me...

"Definitely if you wear that," he shook his head seriously.

"I love you," I reminded him for the 13th Time that day (I counted) and brought his lips to mine. I was about to snake my hands into his hair when we were so rudely interrupted.

"Get a room, you two," Val called in her soprano voice.

"We are in a room," Maxon corrected. "You just happen to be in that room. A room that happens to be our bedroom. I could call the guards on you."

"Yet you won't," She laughed.

Valerie's been doing so well since her father woke up. He is still in the hospital. He is still as pale as a ghost. He still eats like a bird. And he is still going into surgery in a week and a half. But he is awake. And that is enough for her.

He just shook his head and as discreetly as he could slipped the red dress into my suitcase.

"I just wanted to stop by and say goodbye before you leave to tour the world," Valerie smiled.

"That's very kind of you," Maxon commented.

"Well its not because I like you or anything..." Val joked, as if we were truly a burden. "I need the emotional support."

"Good luck with your father," I advised.

"I don't need luck. I need a very good doctor."

I shrugged my shoulders indifferently and closed my suitcase, dramatically sitting on it. I slid my sunglasses on and smiled elegantly. "I am ready to go."

Maxon took my hand in his and my suitcase in his other. He kissed a patch of skin below my ear tenderly.

"Let's go than."