Chapter 5

It takes me ages to get home, the traffic slowed considerably due to the horrendous wet weather. I try to sneak through the house, the giant teddy making it difficult to manoeuvre. I cannot see past its fat belly and nearly knock over a very expensive vase that my grandfather brought back from China during the Ming dynasty. I have never understood why my parents have this thing here, so many times it has nearly been knocked over by yours truly. Ugly thing my mind snips at the dragon on the vase. I much prefer the silk picture that sits behind it of two birds resting on some branches. I throw the bear onto my back, holding its arms over my shoulders hauling the heavy thing up the staircase. Fat bear, you had better be worth it.

"Help! It's the attack of the killer stuffed animals." Jeremy shrieks, giving his best scared woman voice.

"Would you shut up!" I hiss quietly at him.

"Oh please, as if they don't know you are here."

He takes the bear from my arms.

"I'll take Barry the bear to your room, you are requested in the drawing room for a telling off."

"Gee thanks."

My mother sits in her seat, quietly reading from a book, my father at his desk, working on a model ship. The wood panelling around the walls darken the room. The fire roars in the fireplace, creating an unbearable warmth in the room.

"Lillian, please sit down." my father says still engrossed in the model ship.

I sit on the antique lounge suite beside my mother, flicking my hand across the soft material, waiting for the inevitable. The only sounds are from the pops and crackles from the fire and the incessant ticking of the clock. My father huffs at his ship as the mast falls over with a little clatter. He gets up from his desk and begins to pace the room.

"What happened with Crystal last night?"

"She drank from a guy that was high."

"Did you?"

"No. I had already fed prior to the show."

He nods at my response, happy that I had enough sense. Crystal did too but of course, she is insatiable.

"Then what happened?"

"She slept it off."

"Where?"

"A friend's house. She didn't want to go home."

"What friend?"

"Just another vamp."

"Have we met this young girl?"

Oh shit, here we go.

"It's not a girl."

"A boy?" my mother stops reading.

She looks at my father, a glimmer of hope flickers through her eyes.

"What does his father do? Who are they?"

I shrug.

"I don't know who they are. He doesn't know his father."

My father grumbles. "Where does he live?"

"Groves Estate."

My mother gasps.

"Oh dear lord." she groans.

"I hope you are not entertaining ideas of courting this young man Lillian."

My heart sinks, knowing that I would have liked to. Very much so.

"Is that where you have been all day, with this boy?" my mother asks.