Chapter 6

The week drags on slowly, Patrick never calls me or texts which I find a little depressing. I would have gone and seen him except my parents are watching me like a hawk. Friday rolls around and the dressmaker turns up for the final fitting. The morning sun filters into my room, barely warming it. The trees glisten with the morning dew, sparkling in the morning sun. All I can think about is being outside, out in the wide world that seems so far away to me. My mother carefully watches on as the dressmaker fluffs around me, adjusting the dress.

"My lady?"

"Yes, very lovely."

She nods and proceeds to loosen the lacing on my back. I groan with relief.

"Oh stop being so melodramatic Lillian. When I was your age I had to wear them every day."

The dressmaker knowingly nods at me. A slight sympathetic smile washes across her face. She probably hated them too.

"Can I go now?"

"Yes." she groans as she waves her hand.

I quickly get redressed, grabbing my overnight bag and find Jeremy who was pacing the hall, waiting for me.

"All good?"

"Yep."

Ten minutes later we arrive at Crystals house. She skips down the stairs, happily tossing her bag into the boot. It's a very quiet and strange ride into town. I can feel the tension mounting, I idly wondered as I was staring out the window if they were talking in their minds to each other. We or should I say, they decided very early on in the journey that I could go and get Patrick on my own. Which was their way of saying, piss off Lilly, we want the apartment to ourselves. I didn't need telling twice, I didn't want to be around to hear it anyway. I understand his fascination with her. I remember the first day of school when I saw her, her long strawberry blonde hair seemed like it was spun gold to me, pale little freckles scattered across her nose under those big blue eyes. And of course she is a barrel of laughs, has the poise and elegance of an intoxicated human and is extremely mischievous. When I look back at all of the girls that Jeremy has chased after, they all have similar traits or features. It makes sense now, why he never stuck it out with these other girls, they weren't the one that he wanted. Maybe this relationship might just last.

We arrive at the apartment and Jeremy gives us the grand tour. It is a long modern apartment with the living on one side and the bedrooms on the other. I breathe a sigh of relief when I see that two en suites and two robes separate the bedrooms, creating a sizable distance between them.

"So you guys can have this room." Jeremy says.

I look down at the mattress on the floor, the room empty of anything else.

"Just love your decorating technique."

"Give me a break Lil, I picked the keys up like a week ago. Be glad you have this much."

"So I might go and get some things while I'm out?"

"What a brilliant idea."

He hands me a great wad of cash, then turns to leave the room, stopping at the doorway.

"Oh, I left a present for you in the top draw of the vanity."

I walk into the bathroom and open the draw, full of condoms.

"Gee thanks." I mutter under my breath. "Condoms to use with the guy that doesn't call me."

I stuff a couple into my pocket and leave the love birds to have their fun.