This could be it.

I come running into the meadow, Luka running hot and heavy, trying to keep up with me heading towards the River bank, we see my uncle along with, Cody, Art, and Jayson standing at their posts, waiting for us.

"What do we have?" I link with my uncle, coming to stand at his side.

"I thought, I smelled you and Luka coming, Sophie," he says, still not taking his eyes off the other side of the river. "Ruby Stone pack wolves on the other side of the border, just behind the treeline."

"We can hear them as well as smell them," Art interjects.

I cock my ears forward and listen for a moment. From the other side of the quiet water, I hear the faint paw thuds, one to two wolves at the most tapping out a continuous beat. A fire lights in my eyes, I then take a whiff, for a split second, my stomach drops, and then a wave of relief washes over me.

"Bad news, they are Ruby Stone wolves. Good news, it's not Ace, I inform.

I then get out of formation, and start to pace the River bank in time to the wolves on the other side. Once I've done this a few times and I hear the other wolves stop, I then stop myself and face the other side of the bank.

I curl my lip back. "You know I'm watching you. Don't even try it," I let out a warning snarl.

I then hear the wolves step away slightly.

That's what I thought.

With that, I turn back to face my uncle and the others.

"Looks to me like they were just guards, Luka and I have to get back to patrol. If those two do however decide to make a move and come across later, let us know."

My uncle nods. "Understood, Sophie."

"Good work you guys," I compliment, I then turn towards Luka. "Come on, Luka, let's go."

He nods and sprints off alongside me.

***

We come in to the line of trees that overlooks the Meeting Valley, taking the opportunity, I look up at the sky. The moon is so bright out here, it's practically illuminating the landscape. Its sites like these that make me happy to be a werewolf.

I look back down, the nightly wind brushing through, and over my fur. Oh how I've missed this on full moons, the feeling of freedom, and not having to be cooped up in that bunker all night, never again.

Since we're here, might as well check up with my aunt, Shelby, and the other humans.

We slow to a walk as we come into the Meeting Valley, my aunt and the others taking a break from their drills. My aunt smiles, and I give her the best smile I can in this form.

"Hey there you two, how's your night been so far?" my aunt Sherry asks.

"So far so good, we did get one alert though," I link her, just to be safe.

"I heard that a while ago, everything okay?"

"Oh yeah, just some Ruby Stone wolves that were getting a bit too close to the border for our liking," I reply. The boy's said they'd howl for us if they step over the line.

"Well that's good, no danger yet."

"Yep, that's a good si...."

I see Shelby out of the corner of my eye, she's rubbing her temples, and her eyes are a bit glazed over. I look at her more closely, Shelby's looking down, trying to avoid the light of the moon as much as possible, she then pinches the bridge of her nose.