Chapter 28

**| Sean's POV |**

When everything went to shit...again, we were sprinting, rushing to get to them. But we were too slow. North already did a superhero move and Silas was already introducing the man to his fist. I moved passed Silas knowing the others would stop him. Hopefully not until a few more hits though.

North was on the ground with Sang next to him, crawling to her feet.

I slid down onto my knees, ignoring the scraping pain as I began assessing North.

"I'm fine," he grunted, his eyes pressed closed as he held his right hand to his side.

"Let me look," I said, not believing him. The man could be gutted and would still say he's fine while trying to shove his innards back into his stomach.

He grunted and shifted. I helped him sit up, propping him against the cabin's wall. When I got him comfortable, I grabbed his hand and moved it, looking at the wound. It was bleeding a lot but when I moved closer, my shoulders slumped in relief.

The wound looked like a deep gash, telling me the bullet only grazed his side. I could fix this. This was fixable. We would be okay.

I unhooked the bag I had strapped to my bag and put it next to me. It held all the medical supplies I had on hand with me. I silently thanked Kota for getting it as I opened the bag and pulled what I needed out. I purged all my crazy emotions and focused on each task I had to do, forcing my hands to still. I was a doctor, I couldn't allow the fear to prevent me from doing my job.

I cleaned the wound, trying to slow down the bleeding before I could even stitch the wound closed.

"I'm so sorry," Sang said, kneeling down next to North as I finally managed to get the wound to stop bleeding.

"Don't" North grunted, trying to focus on Sang. Pain clouded his dark eyes but he seemed determined to keep her in his sights. I would too if the situation were reversed. And Sang was beautiful to look at. Besides, I couldn't fault her for anything. Not right now. She was genuinely concerned about North and his well being. How could I hate someone like that?

We would still get all our answers, but not until after I got North up and running again.

"I'm going to numb the area," I warned North.

He didn't say anything and so I grabbed a sterile needle and filled it with what I needed to take his pain away. I turned to Silas as I waited for the numbness to kick in completely.

He was standing with Gabriel and Owen acting as watch dogs in case he decided to go berserk like that again.

I glanced at his knuckles and sighed. His hands were bloody and I was pretty sure it was from Sander and not because his hands were hurt. I'd still need to check just to make sure.

"You're next," I said to Silas with narrowed eyes, leaving no room for argument. He didn't say anything as Gabriel led him over to a porch swing to settle down on while they waited.

"How is he?" Owen asked and I focused on him.

He looked like he aged a few years from this, his hair a mess, his eyes tired and scared. This mission was playing on Owen's biggest fear of losing someone and the couple of days, especially the last couple hours really hadn't helped.

"Grazed him," I answered and I could see the small amount of relief he allowed me to see before his mask was in place and he went over to the unconscious man.

I did not pity Sander. He better hope he stayed out for the count for a few more hours because if he woke up right now, Owen would deal with him, and then I would deal with him in a way only a doctor would be able to do.