Chapter 18

Thanks for your patience. I'm excited to share this chapter with you. The beginning scene has the dialogue in italics to show that they are speaking in German and some violence is involved but it's light violence.

***

**| Past Sang's POV |**

I lifted the washcloth and twisted, getting all the dirty water out of it. My knees were sore because Mama made me kneel for two hours yesterday and now I was on them again as I cleaned the living room.

I quickly went back to scrubbing the floors, keeping an ear alert. Mama's TV was going strong in her room. She was always in there and when she wasn't...I shuddered.

"Move out of my way," Marie snapped at me as she came into the room. I shifted and she walked by. Her cellphone went off and when she went to pull it out of her pocket, she dropped the drink in her hand.

The blood in my face drained and I grew cold as I watched the cup fall down, hit the floor boards, and then shatter, the sound extra loud to my sensitive ears. Marie looked down at the glass before looking at me and smirking.

"Mama!" she yelled.

The TV muted and all I could hear was the pounding of my heart. A loud thump thump pulsing in my head as a hundred scenarios flashed through my head. I stared at the spreading clear liquid, seeping into the crack of the boards.

I closed my eyes as feet stomped across the floorboards, vibrations reaching my hands pressed against the floor. A second later Mama was standing over me. Her pale eyes flickered around the room taking in the scene.

"She pushed me and made me drop my drink," Marie said and Mama's blue-grey eyes hardened as they focused on me.

"Sang, what did you do?" she gritted out, her fists clenching at her sides. I scrambled to my feet.

"N-nothing," I stuttered, looking up at her, begging her to forgive me even though I knew she wasn't going to.

"Lies," she seethed, her voice raspy. "You're lying."

"But Marie—" I stopped at that knowing it was the wrong thing to say. Mama verified my thoughts when her face hardened, her eyes blazing with rage.

"How dare you try to blame my daughter!" she snapped. She shoved me and I stumbled back, landing hard. Pain lanced through my right thigh as I heard the crunch of glass underneath me. "Don't you dare ever try to lie again and put the blame on Marie."

Mama took in a deep breath before slowly releasing it. She snarled at me, her lip curling up in hatred.

"Clean this mess up and then go to your room. You're not to come out. I'll be talking to your father tonight about a proper punishment." With that, she whirled around and stomped back into her room, her robe trailing behind her.

I stared after her as Marie giggled and walked by, heading up into her room.

I stayed like that, in shock, until my leg reminded me it was hurt. I had bled through my jeans. I grabbed an extra cloth and wrapped it around my leg, quickly cleaning up the mess before limping into my room. It was hard getting up the stairs but I managed. I went into the bathroom and spent the next half an hour trying to clean the wound.

I had to pull out a big piece of glass, forcing myself to blink past the tears and work through the pain as my small hand pulled the shard out, my little fingers slipping because of the blood on them.

When I finished getting the shard out, I had to take off my pants. That was a different kind of pain. Then I pulled out the first aid kit I kept in the bathroom for purposes like these and cleaned the wound out and wrapped a bandage around it.