Chapter 27

**| Silas's POV |**

I couldn't draw my eyes away from Sander, at the way he watched Sang and North. While the two of them talked, I kept my eyes on the man, on every reaction he had. There was something about him that was off but I couldn't tell. And Sang trusted him to have her back, which was why she stayed on top of the stairs while we were forced to stand at the bottom, looking up at them.

"Will you let me come closer?" North asked and I tensed just as Sander did. He was still on a high of adrenaline from shooting and I had no doubt that if Sang wasn't around, he would have shot us too.

North moved closer until he was halfway up the porch steps. I wanted to move closer too, to stay within reach of him, but I didn't want to risk Sander becoming trigger happy.

While still keeping an eye on the man, I managed to catch North's jacket and then see Sang's reaction to his tattoo.

He told me part of the story behind it, the meaning behind the symbols. He only said there was a girl he used to know and the tattoo was his way of honoring her. He would always be her guide. From that I had gleaned from his story, she was dead, but I was so far from the truth. And now we stood before the woman who left such a big enough impact on my brother that he branded himself for her.

They had their moment together as he explained the tattoo and she got emotional. I had to smile at the scene because this was the very moment North has been waiting for ever since left her.

"I don't understand why you're with the gang," she said.

"I'm not."

"I saw you," she said. "At the park. You were talking to one of them. You're here to make a deal with them." She shook her head, full of so much disbelief and pain at the thought. "I thought you were better than that."

North's back tensed at her words and I knew her words hurt him.

"I am better than that," he growled. "We aren't making any fucking deals with those bastards." North sent a glare at Sander. "I don't know about you though," he said.

Sang winced, and again I could see all the guilt that has built up inside of her, I just didn't know the reason why. Then she slowly lifted her chin up in defiance.

"I would never work with them," she spat. "And Sander is helping me. He wants out and we're working to resolve that. But you, you went to their meeting, talked with their boss. You're going to help them gain power in America."

"I'm not!" North snapped and I stepped closer as his hands curled into fists at his side. "I'm only here for you. I don't give a fuck about those bastards. If you saw me at the park, you should have seen me fight them."

She shook her head. "That doesn't tell me anything. The Wahre Sachsen live off of violence. All you did was prove to fit right in among them. That fight gained you respect." Her eyes slowly trailed over him, taking him in.

"I don't think you're one to talk," North growled, his eyes focusing on Sander briefly before moving onto the closed door into the cabin. "How many children have you kidnapped? How many have died because of you? And what's this about selling them?"

Sang paled. "You don't understand."

North shook his head. "I understand perfectly. You're not Sang Baby anymore."

She let out a whimper and stepped back. My heart ached just seeing the expression on her face but my heart ached more for North who was slowly realizing Sang Baby had changed in a way he never expected.

Sander moved, his arm twitching as he glared at North.

"Let me explain," Sang said.

"Don't bother," Sander finally spoke up. "He'll never understand."