Chapter twenty-two.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Cassie pulled the phone away from her ear and as soon as she did that she received a notification. Her heart pounded heavily against her chest. She gulped as she looked down at the notification. It was a text message from the same number that she got the voicemail from. She clicked on it and some numbers came on her screen, it took her a moment to realize that they were GPS coordinates. She bit her lower lip and then she copied the coordinates. She clicked on her search engine, pasted it in the address bar and clicked on go. Thanks to her high-speed internet connection, in a second, the answer to where those coordinates led to was provided to her. Cassie rolled her eyes as soon as she saw that the coordinates were for the campsite where Avril was kidnapped. She had been sent there twice mysteriously so she was starting to suspect that she would be sent there some more.

Cassie walked up the stairs and tiptoed once she neared her room door. She gently opened the door and peeped into the room. Thankfully Phoebe was still sound asleep. Phoebe had driven Cassie's car from the cafe to Cassie's home when she came in the morning and she kept the keys on Cassie's bedside table. Cassie quietly picked up her keys and tiptoed out of the room. She was leaving the house, not of her volition, but she did not mind too much because she knew that staying at home would only mean that she would cry some more. Cassie ran down the stairs and out of her house. She shook her head once she saw how poorly Phoebe had parked her car. She unlocked the car using the key fob and then she pulled open the door. She reversed it out of her driveway and drove off.

All through her drive, so many thoughts ran through Cassie's mind that she could hardly focus on the road. She was at a red light and she saw it as the perfect opportunity to think some more.

Am I stupid to keep going there alone? What if it's a trap? What if I'm only being messed with? Are some of the thoughts that crept into her mind.

The sound of cars honking behind her broke her out of her daze. She looked up to see that the light had already turned green.

"Sorry," she said pointlessly and drove. The car behind her came to her side and an old man who was driving it flipped her the bird before speeding off. Cassie rolled her eyes and continued driving, making a conscious decision to not overthink.

Cassie knew that she was nearing the campsite when the number of cars on the road began to drop, she could only see two cars in front of her, and through her rear-view mirror, she could see one behind her. What filled the space was huge trees on either side of the road. It made the path she was driving seem eerier and narrower. She had driven there before of course, but the more she went there the more she realized how truly disturbing that area was. It looked like one of those places in scary movies where people got killed with their body undiscovered for days, and then a couple messing around in the woods will come across the body which would already be rotting away, or a random old man with a dog (they always have a dog) will come across it and call the police.

Cassie got slightly mad at herself for making herself think thoughts that would only make her more terrified. She thought about the voice message again and was still unable to decipher if it was a man's voice or a woman's. The person was breathing so hard and she could tell that he or she was trying to be quiet, almost like someone could walk in at any moment. Cassie took a right turn and drove into the woods until she was at the campsite, she drove further and stopped once she was faced with the cabin. A part of her wished she had dragged Joseph along with her even if she knew that in the face of danger, Joseph would use her tiny body as a shield. That shameless twit!