Chapter Fifteen.

"  A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. "

                                                                                                                            -Christopher Reeve

 --

Cassie was escorted out of the hall by a police officer and was led to the room where she left her personal belongings. Cassie handed the officer in charge of keeping personal belongings the number tag that she needed to retrieve her bag. Once the officer looked at the number on the tag, she frowned and then she handed the tag back to Cassie.

"Your bag in the possession of the head detective," the woman said and then she stood up from her desk and walked over to Cassie. "I'll take you there."

"Why on earth is my bag with the head detective?" Cassie furrowed her eyebrows.

"You'll have to ask him," the woman said curtly, and then she led the way.

She walked into a space that was very familiar to Cassie and then she led Cassie to an office that Cassie knew all too well. It was Brady's old office.

The officer knocked on the door lightly, and then she opened it once the person inside gave her the go ahead. She poked her head into the office  and said, "she's here."

"Perfect!" the man said, and put his hands together.

"You can go in," the officer told Cassie.

Cassie looked at the woman for a while, and when she saw her deadpan face, she decided to surrender herself to the mystery that she was about to uncover.

When Cassie walked in, the first thing that caught her eyes were the dirty soles of some beat up brown boots. Cassie's eyes traveled from the long legs of the person up to the smirk that curled on his thin lips. She scoffed once she saw the face of the man in front of her. It was the smart-mouthed officer that came to her house. Cassie groaned and then she sat in one of the seats in front of him.

She observed the room carefully. "You didn't even have the decency to redecorate," she rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "Where's my bag?" she asked, and let her eyes travel around the office once more, this time in search of her bag.

He reached under his table and pulled out her bag. He placed it on the table and pushed it to her. Cassie rose up her eyebrows before pulling her bag to her side. Next, he pulled open his desk drawer and pulled out a folder.  Out of the folder, he brought out Cassie's photograph of the ring.

"You know, when I took over from Brady, I was handed some of his files." He tapped on the file in front of him. My mission is to complete the cases he did not get a chance to. There's a case that stood out the most to me, so you can imagine my shock when I saw a photograph of a ring in your bag. A ring that is incredibly essential to this case. Now," he linked his fingers together and placed it on the table. "You might be wondering why I snooped through your bag. The answer to that is that I am naturally a nosy man, and I'm especially nosy when it comes to people I find suspicious."

"Haven't you ever heard of the right to privacy?"

"I must have missed that lesson," he smirked and then he swung his hand over the backrest of his chair and leaned back.

"What do you want?" she asked, while taking the photo she was sent from his table, and putting it into her bag.

"I want to know what you know about this case, I also want to know what your visit to Brady was about."