Ch. 4

We can hear before seeing the cars getting closer to us. Justin quickly pulls us over to a large group of apple trees and motions for me to climb. I do as fast as I can with him right behind me on the adjoining tree. I stand as close to the truck as possible in hopes to be the most hidden as we watch five silver cars with black roofs drive by us. We wait to make sure no other cars might be coming before jumping back down to the moist earth below us.

I stop momentarily when I hear three bells chiming through the compound. A signal to get to the dining hall. They are going to be herded like cattle. I take a deep breath and look to Justin he looks just as unsure as I do.

"Come on D, we need to go."

"They're going to be alright, right?"

Justin doesn't say anything he just takes my hand before bringing it up to his lips and kissing each finger. He lowers my hand and we look at each other.

"Come on."

I take a deep breath and step forward, away from our friends. 'We will find each other again Tobias', I think to myself as we continue through the orchid. After a few minutes the gate comes into view and our first major hurdle appears before us in the form of three Dauntless with blue armbands on their forearms standing at the opening of the gate with guns in hand. We quickly squat down behind a large bush.

"What now?"

"I have an idea, but I really don't think you're going to like it."

Justin quirks an eyebrow at me and I just give a small smile as I rely my idea.

"You're right about one thing Danni. I don't like this at all."

There were many things I learned during my 16 years growing up in Erudite. As I got older I ventured into more specialized topics. I knew long before my aptitude test that I would never stay there, I was never quite sure where it was I was going to end up. I mean, I knew I was going to go Dauntless but I never knew if I would in fact make it in. We could study anything we wanted if it related to science or history. The main focuses always being on bettering our world after the great war that happened outside of our gate. History was studied so we could learn from it and science was learned so we could improve it. I wanted to learn one simple thing, how to survive.

My father was and is an evil man. Jeanine is an evil woman. They both turned my brother into the monster that he is today and as Jeanine has said before I don't need a faction to survive. There are things that I know that even she doesn't realize.

I look over my shoulder one last time before Justin gives me a small nod as he gets into his position. He is going to create a diversion that will hopefully get at least two of the Dauntless traitors to investigate while I go in for the remaining guard. He will be up in a tree so hopefully they won't shoot him. I shudder thinking about losing him after everything we have gone through so far. I shake out my arms to get myself back in the game. I need to concentrate and remained focus. I take cautious step towards the gate still hidden behind the brush. When I finally get to the fence I wait for any of the guards to move away. After what seems like an eternity I see a shiny red apple roll to a stop at the guard's feet. I shake my head thinking about Justin having time while we were hiding to pick some fruit. I stifle the need to chuckle, now is not a good time to make noise.

I can see the confusion on the guards faces as one cautiously bends over to exam the fruit. As he is looking at it a second apple nails him right in the center of his cranium. Making him jolt upright while rubbing his head. One of the guards holds in a laugh while the one that got hit curses something awful while raising his weapon in the direction of the Malus projectile.