Ch. 10

Shock. 

I think that would be the easiest way to describe what was being told to us via Tris' truth serum. The entire room silent, all eyes of the dauntless going from her, to Niles, Christina, and Tobias. Silent questions being asked all consisting of Who knew this?

"Thank you for your honesty."

Those words, whispered. Everyone knew this was something that should have been taken to the grave. The death of family, the death of a friend. One that you took the life from to keep your own. Your first life and unlike everyone else in the room you did it not under the influence of anything. It was your own mind your own will...Will.

"We will talk about this later." I heard Tobias whisper to Tris. His arm around her shoulder giving her support while trying to remain amicable.

I turn towards the doorway as the door slams shut and only than do I notice Christina is gone. A squeeze of my hand has me turning back towards Justin as he tilts his head toward the chair in the center of the room.

My turn.

I let Justin's hand fall as I made way towards the center of the room. The cleansing cloth was cool against my skin. The needle made no impact to me, since I had been stabbed so many times while training to become a full dauntless member. The liquid it was cool, no more than cool it was cold. It felt as if it was trying to freeze me into the chair and I felt my body relax as the serum tried to take its hold on me, but something felt off. I looked around it wasn't what it looked like everyone else went through. The people around me look in focus and clear. My tongue while heavy was still managing to move with my own volition. Maybe...just maybe.

"What is your name?"

I looked up at Niles my name... "D."

"That is a nickname is it not?"

"When a person transfers to Dauntless they can change one's name on the first day and that name becomes them. My name is D."

I watch Niles brow furrow. He knows that something is off with that answer. The person in charge of the truth serum I am positive knows all the ins and outs of this stuff what can and should be an answer and what I did I am positive isn't normal, at least via his facial expressions.

"What faction did you transfer from?"

"I was born an Erudite."

"What were your parents name?"

"Jessica and David."

I can see the annoyance set into Niles face. I am not lying I am just omitting certain truths. Again, something I am sure not many if any could do under truth serum. I feel the side of my lip quirk up a bit. I can also hear the murmuring around the room. People Candor at least know that I should have been able to give a last name, I should have given a last name.

"Is there a reason you will not give a full name to us?"

"I am no longer a part of their family and I wish not to be associated with that name any longer. As you know faction over blood. When the time comes my last name will be that of Justin's no others. That is the family I choose that will be the name of my family."

Niles clears his throat. My eyes going to him he looks frazzled but only just.

"Tell me about the day in question from your own perspective. What happened before you ran into Tris, Four and Justin?"

"I was in bed, when someone burst in and put something over my head. I was thrown into a room. I broke free from it and ran into Eric. He was shot in the foot and he started yelling at me, he tried to kill me but I got away and ran into Tris. I didn't even have shoes on, or a weapon. I had found a knife along the way. We, Tris and I ran into the control room where Four and Justin were. We were told to drop our weapons, but even after we did they still didn't lower theirs. I tried to get to Justin but he was too far into the simulation, and he ended up shooting me. He would have killed me if Tris didn't get through to Four. When she did Four stopped the program and we escaped to Amity."

"You are saying you were never under the simulation?"

"I was never under the simulation, no."

"Are you divergent as well?"

"Yes."

"One more question. What is your greatest regret."

"I regret hurting so many people, I regret being an active participant in delivering the serum which I was told was a simple tracking serum in case members got lost outside the gate. I regret helping the Erudite, all be it unknowingly and brought harmed to the Abnegation and to the none traitor Dauntless. That is what I regret, but I am working hard to make up for it by being one of the ones that will take down the traitor Dauntless and stop Jeanne Matthews."

I take a deep breathe happy I could omit so much from my words. I look to Tobias, he is looking at me wide eyed and nods slightly. He noticed as well. I didn't say a word about my father or about my brother. 

"Thank you for your honesty."

I stand up and walk over to my small group. Justin takes me into his arms and kisses my temple.

"Robertson." He whispers to me.

"What?"

"Your last name D, it will be Robertson. I thought you might like to know." He attaches his lips to my own in a chaste kiss.