Article 27: The Bird Gossip

After our friendly introduction, Rosetta stomped away and sat on her bed, not looking at me.

I found a little wrap and some interesting ointment that was in the back of her makeup cabinet.

I tried to wrap my injured leg and succeeded. Sort of. The ointment got on my shirt somehow and with the bandages it looked like I had been attacked by a mummy.

Once I finished mummifying myself, I attempted to climb back down the tower to get as far away from Rosetta the royal brat as possible. The only problem was that I could barely reach the edge of her window sill before I collapsed from the pain. 

"Ow," I muttered angrily. "Stupid leg."

I glanced down at my leg and cursed my evil "dog" Shag. He would not be getting anymore treats for awhile.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rosetta stand up and walk over to me. There wasn't an evil smirk on her face or an ugly scowl. Maybe she was going to help me get down.

But instead she walked right past me and leaned over to edge of the window. Would she take my suggestion and climb down herself?

Instead, she just stared out of the window, an ugly scowl slowly forming on her fair face.

I looked up at her with a raised eyebrow. "What is it?" I asked, looking out of the window to try to figure out what she was staring at.

Rosetta groaned and ran over to her bed window. She groaned again and buried herself in her pillows and sheets. "Stupid birds!" I heard her scream into the pillow.

I very slowly got up and leaned against the edge of the window. I gazed out across the perfectly aligned Sunsell forest, and then to the overgrown forest of Darcrawl. I still didn't see anything until I looked at the Sunsell forest again and saw a swarm a birds flying straight towards a beautiful castle in the distance. I recognized these birds. They were the ones that had been watching us earlier.

"Are those the bird gossipers?" I asked Rosetta, not taking my eyes off of the swarm.

"Uh huh," Rosetta sighed, sitting up slowly. "Those blasted birds will be the end to my reputation!"

I turned to face her and rolled my eyes. "Your reputation of sitting in a tower?"

Rosetta glared at me and didn't respond. "I have to get you out of here."

I shook my head and pointed to my leg. "Nope, not happening anytime soon."

She whimpered and flopped back onto her bed. I watched her use huge hand gestures which had to be her way of thinking. I saw a few the looked like my head and scissors.

Rosetta suddenly bolted up. "I've got it! It's going to take a lot, and when I say a lot I mean a lot, of work."

I waited for her to continue. "And this hard work is..."

Rosetta beamed and stood up. She ran over to me, grabbed my hand, and dragged me to her mirror. "I'm going to turn you into a prince!"

I looked at her, my eyes wide. "No. No, no, no, no. Did I say no?"

She pouted and looked into the mirror. "Please? It is the only way to save my family's reputation and most likely your's too."

I looked into the mirror and saw my pitch black hair sticking at odd angles, my normally brown eyes had turned slightly red, and my pale skin was covered in scratches and bruises. I shook my head and sighed. "I literally have nothing left to lose, so sure."

Rosetta squealed. "Okay, okay. So first we need to get you a name. Xander is no name for a prince, so how about-"

"Xavier?" I suggested.

She looked at me with disgust. "No!"

"William?"

"Overused."

"Sam?"

"Too short."

I scratched my head. "Then what?"

Rosetta gasped. "I've got it! David! Not completely overused, not too short or too long, and a classy name. Perfect!"

I looked back into the mirror. "David..." I muttered. "David works."

Rosetta nodded. "Alright, Prince David. Now an outfit. Your's is disgusting."

I looked down at my black shirt which was torn and dirty, and down to my dark brown pants which looked the same.

"It's not that bad-"

"Yes it is," Rosetta interrupted quickly. She walked over to a closet and brought out a white shirt, a long blue and gold jacket, beige pants, and black boots with gold trimming. "Ta da!"

My eyes widened. "That's really what princes wear?" I asked.

She nodded. "Definitely."

I looked back into her closet. "And why do you have that in there?"

Rosetta's face flushed. "Just in case."

"Sureeeee," I responded with a smirk.

She exhaled slowly, trying to control her anger. "Go get dressed. I'll wait here."

I looked around. "And where would you suggest me getting dressed? It's not like there's a bathroom."

Rosetta pointed to a corner. "I won't look. Believe me, I don't want to."

I sighed and walked into the corner.

Just wait until my friends back home find out about this, I thought.