Chapter 14 ~ Mika, Quai Mai, and Dung

"Look, the inner wall," I said in awe as I saw it.

"I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece," Katara said.

"Hey don't jinx it! We could still be attacked by some giant, exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp," Sokka exclaimed. 

"You been hitting the cactus juice again?" I asked crossing my arms.

"I'm just sayin', weird stuff happens to us," Sokka defended.

"Don't worry Aang, we'll find Appa.It's such a big city," Katara said.

"He's a giant bison. Where could someone possibly hide him?" Sokka said.

"I'm comin' for you buddy. He's here. I can feel it," Aang said. 

We got off and were greeted by a slightly alarming looking woman. "Hello, my name is Joo Dee. I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, Katara, Emiko, and Toph. Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?" 

"Yes! We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King immediately," Sokka jumped out. 

"Great let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it," Joo Dee said.

"Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the King about the war, it's important," Sokka said.

"You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here," Joo Dee said as she began the tour. "This is the lower ring."

"What's that wall for?" I asked cautiously. 

"Oh, Ba Sing Se has many walls.T here are the ones outside protecting us, and the one's inside that help maintain order. This is where our newest arrivals live, as well as our craftsman and artisans, people that work with their hands. It's so quaint and lively. You do want to watch your step though," Joo Dee explained. 

I gave Katara a disgusted look, "why do they have all these poor people blocked off in one part of the city?"

"This is why I never came here before. I always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live," Aang said. 

"This is the middle ring of Ba Sing Se, home to the financial district, shops and restaurants and the university," Joo Dee continued.

"Yeah, we met a Professor from Ba Sing Se University. He took us to an ancient underground library where we discovered information about the war that is absolutely crucial for the King to hear!" Sokka almost shouted.

"Isn't history fascinating? Look, here's one of the oldest buildings in the middle ring, Town Hall," Joo Dee said smiling. 

"Is that woman deaf?" Toph said.

"She only seems to hear every other word I say," Sokka mumbled.

Yet the tour continued. "The Upper Ring is home to our most important citizens. Your house is not too far from here."

"What's inside that wall?" Sokka asked.

"And who are the mean looking guys in robes?" I continued eyeing them warily.

"Inside is the Royal Palace. Those men are agents of the Dai Li, the cultural authority of Ba Sing Se," Joo Dee explained. "They are the guardians of all our traditions."

"Can we see the King now?" Aang asked.

"Oh, no! One doesn't just pop in on the Earth King. Here we are. Your new home."