Chapter 4 ~ Little Soldier Boy

I knelt in front of Lu Min as he cried, "I'm gonna miss you." He sobbed as he launched himself into my arms. I hugged him close to me as he buried his head in my shoulder. After Yue became the Moon Spirit, I decided that it was time I left the Northern Water Tribe. It wasn't easy, but as we traveled to where we would part, I realized that many of my people feared me because of my ability to use lightning. Something I had kept a secret from the majority of my people.

The hardest part about leaving my tribe, was leaving my little brother. I explained to him what was going on, and he understood, but it was still very hard on him. Master Pakku suggested that Lu Min journey with them to the South Pole, so they could bond. He also said that my brother would be showing his bending soon, and we have no idea if he will be a water bender like me, or fire bender like his father.

I agreed, but I'm beginning to regret it now as Lu Min cried into my shoulder. "I'll see you soon, don't you worry."

"I know..." He sniffed as he rubbed his eyes. I kissed his forehead as I picked him up and rocked him back and forth. "Will you sing me the lullaby that mother sang to you?" He asked as we watched the sun rise over the waves. 

"Of course." I said as I continued to rock him back and forth, in time with the ship.

Leaves from the vine-
Falling so slow.

Like fragile, tiny shells-
Drifting in the foam.

Little soldier boy,
Come marching home.

Brave soldier boy,
Comes marching home...

Eventually, Lu Min fell asleep even though the sun was rising. I turned around as I saw Katara, Aang, and Sokka walk up. "It's time to go." Katara said softly as she saw me rocking Lu Min back and forth. I nodded sadly as I walked with them to the deck.

I stood next to Sokka as we said goodbye, still holding Lu Min. I just couldn't let myself let him go. "Katara, I want you to have this." Master Pakku said giving her Oasis water. "This amulet contains water from the Spirit Oasis. The water has unique properties, so don't lose it."

Katara bowed then gave him a hug, "thank you Master Pakku."

 "Aang, these scrolls will help you master water bending. But remember, there are no substitutes for a real master." Master Pakku said handing the scroll to Aang. "Sokka, take care son." He said patting Sokka on the shoulder much to his disappointment. I sighed as I woke up Lu Min, he didn't want to at first since he buried his head further into my shoulder, but eventually he woke up.

"Fly straight to the Earth Kingdom based to the east of here, General Fong will provide you with an escort to Omashu. There you'll be safe to begin your earth bending training with King Bumi." Master Pakku told Aang.

"Say hi to GranGran for me!" Katara called from the saddle.

"It's time for me to go little brother." I said gently.

"No..." He mumbled as he hugged me tightly.

"I love you." I said as I kissed his forehead.

"I love you too." He mumbled into my hair making me smile. I handed him to Uncle.

"Emiko, I am so proud of the young lady you have become." He said as he pulled me into a tight hug.

I felt tears creeping up in my eyes, "thank you Uncle."

He pulled back, trying to discretely wipe his eyes as he pulled out an elegant sword. "This was your mothers, it is elegant and deadly. Attacked to it is water from the Spirit Oasis, she chose to place it on the hilt, but you can wear it, much like Katara's amulet."