Chapter 31

"I'm sorry. I just, all the time that I've been here, everything just gets screwed up. And I thought that if I left then you guys would be able to have everything go back to normal. But obviously I failed at that so…"

"Don't ever think that! Everything that has happened hasn't solely been because of you Reighleen. Please, don't think that, and if you do think about running away come talk to me, okay?" Danny said whilst stroking my cheek.

I smiled then realized the light I saw coming through the sheets was sunlight.

"Can we go to, uhm, that place now?"

"Yes of course, then we can go out for breakfast?"

"Okay," I said with a small smile.

So after going to the clinic and getting the morning after pill, we went to the Waffle Shop.

"I didn't realize how hungry I've been," the smells of cooking waffles and pancakes floating up my nostrils and causing a grumble in my stomach.

"Well it's a good thing we've come here then huh?" Danny replied, scanning the menu.

"Reighleen?"

I turned around hoping it wasn't who I knew it was. "Hey Nathan…"

"I was going to call you after I finished breakfast with my sister but I guess I won't have to now," with his cute grin atop his face.

"oh cool…"

He came over and leaned in to kiss me, and it took all I had not to flinch away. I discreetly scooted away, or I thought I tried to.

"Is something wrong love?" he asked, backing away a respectful distance but kept his worried eyes on me.

"Everything is fine. I'm just getting a hint of a cold and I don't want to get you sick is all," I told him, somewhat proud of the lie I made up.

"Oh alright. Well, I'll leave you to your breakfast then and call you later. Bye love," kissing my cheek before leaving.

As soon as he left, the waitress took our order and left us alone in our lonely booth in the corner.

"Is it normal to act like that? I mean, he's not the one that did it so I shouldn't be terrified of him, right? There must be something wrong with me. I used to be a screw up, but now…now I'm-"

"Reighleen, be quiet," Danny demanded as he slid from his seat to the one next to me. "It's perfectly normal for you to act this way. You've gone through something horrible and your body needs to cope somehow. And you were not a screw up okay? Nor are you one now."

"Danny, I'd like to believe you but…I just, I wish I could rewind and not be born. Then everything would so much easier for everyone. And I'm not just saying that. Then my mother wouldn't be in such an angry state because my father would probably still be alive, you would be happier, Nathan could have another more deserving person. The list goes on and on."

"Are you done?"

"Uh, for now…" I said skeptically, surprised by his response.

"Good. Because starting today, you are going to burn your bridges. All those bad memories, all those images in your head that make you want to shake with fear, all of those words you just said, hold on to them. After we eat breakfast, I am taking you somewhere special where you will let go of them all and leave them behind and start new."

"Uhm…I'm guessing I don't really have a choice do I?"

"Nope," he said with a proud smile and started eating his chocolate chip Belgium waffle.