one » sweet california

Riley Smalls:

Riley Smalls:

"Riley, wake up! We're here!" My younger brother yelled in my ear.

I opened my eyes reluctantly, I definitely didn't want to be in this car. Yet, it seems a hell of a lot better than California.

My lovely mother decided to uproot our family from the little town in Ohio that I loved so dearly. It was the only place that reminded me of my father, which the memory of him seemed to fade quicker for my mom than Scotty and I.

Bill had easily filled the place of my real father for my mom. Scotty attempted to get closer to the guy. Me on the other hand, Bill meant nothing. He could never replace my dad.

"Riley, c'mon." Scotty tapped my arm lightly, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I stepped into the heat of California, which I was not used to. I sighed and looked at the house Bill had picked out. It's Pepto-Bismol pink, gross. I cringed slightly at it before I adjusted the Cleveland Indians ball cap I always wore. It was the one of only things of my dad's my mom let me keep. My mom's philosophy was out of sight, out of mind. I didn't agree, but whatever helps you erase your memory of your deceased husband.

"Riley, get to unpacking." My mom ordered.

I put my hand to my forehead and saluted her as if I was a soldier. "Right away, sergeant." I replied, slightly sarcastic.

She rolled her eyes light before walking into the Pepto-Bismol house.

"So, Bill, what do I gotta do to get a cat? I mean you kind of forced me to move away from all of my friends and family, the least you could do is a cat." I asked my stepfather as I picked up a box.

Bill was use to my sarcastic comments by now, he took them with a grain of salt. I didn't hate the guy, but I wasn't afraid to speak my mind on the situation he put me in.

"We can go to the shelter and find you a cat if it'll make you happy." Bill informed me.

"I'm ecstatic." I gave him a sarcastic smile and he laughed.

"Hey Bill.. uh dad?" Scotty asked the man, "Bill, do you think you could teach me how to play ball once we get all unpacked?"

Scotty tried hard to accept Bill as a dad figure. I felt bad for the kid. He was only a year younger than me, but dad gone by the time he was six.

Baseball was a crucial part of growing up for me. My father was a die hard fan of the Indians, and the classic baseball players of course. Babe Ruth and Bob Feller were his two favorites, which meant they were my favorites. My mother never cared to much for the game, and wasn't pleased when my father had taught me how to play. I rarely touched any mitt anymore, but I still watched baseball as if it was my religion.

"Sure Scotty, I'll teach you sometime." Bill grinned, yeah totally. I can probably play better than you Bill.

Not even an hour in California and I'm already ticked, great.

»»»
ITS A LIL SHORT I KNOW I KNOW, BUT THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING AND I WANTED TO SHOW BASICALLY WHO RILEY IS.

and special thank you to charmingenigma for being such a good friend & helping me with this story. love u man ❤️