six » splash

Riley Smalls:

Riley Smalls:

"Riley, get up!" Scotty yelled as he pounded on my door.

I muttered curses as I lifted myself out of bed, tossing on a pair shorts and a plain blur shirt. A larger Dodgers jersey fell onto my shoulders, I decided against my normal Indians hat and pulled my hair up into a ponytail.

After Scotty and I got ready, we both ate quickly at the table.

"Where are you two always heading?" Bill asked.

"Baseball." Scotty muffled out, his mouth full of cereal.

Benny and the guys had pulled me into the game as if I had never stopped over a week or so.

Our mother's eyes widened, "Are you playing again?"

"Yeah, the guys wanted me to get back out there. I figured it was time." I answer, putting my bowl into the the sink.

"C'mon Scotty, let's go." I tugged at Scotty's shirt.

He quickly put his bowl in the sink. As Scotty was grabbing two waters a knock came from the door.

"See you later!" We bid our mother and Bill goodbye.

Benny stood on our porch. The sun already scorching down in The Valley. I was already ready to strip my jersey off.

"Let's go, the guys are probably waiting." Benny nudged us to move down the sidewalk faster.

When we made it to The Sandlot Yeah-Yeah and Squints weren't present. The rest of the team was, but they were all unhappy to be out in the heat.

"Where you guys been? We've been waiting forever already." Benny asked Yeah-Yeah and Squints as they approached us.

"Squints was curvin' a dish." Yeah-Yeah answered, handing Benny a new baseball.

"Shut up, no I wasn't." Squints retaliated.

"Yeah yeah, you were! Your tongue was hanging out of your head and you were swimming! Oh Wendy Peffercorn, my darling lover girl!" Before Yeah-Yeah could ramble on Squints cut him off.

"I said shut up. I've got a lot of things on my mind." Squints sighs.

Ham had walked out of the dugout, not caring about what had gone on between Yeah-Yeah and Squints.

"This pop isn't working, Benny. I'm baking like a toasted cheeser! It's so hot out here!" Ham complained.

"It's 150 degrees out there, you can't play baseball. You're gonna have to call it for the day." Squints added.

My face twisted in confusion, it wasn't that hot.

"C'mon guys, it's not that bad! Once you get out there it won't be as bad!" I fought back.