Blood

I stood facing (but refusing to look at) what, by name and blood alone, was my mother - a foul, wretched creature who had made sure I had an exact idea of how little I meant to her. Her presence alone was enough to send me back into that small little girl who was so convinced she was an absolute freak that she wouldn't even look at herself in the mirror. I was so caught up in how my inability to be normal would ruin my life that I never saw the beauty in it - I never saw how people longed to be able to manipulate their looks, even just for a laugh. All I saw was her, her yelling and screaming about how disgraceful it was for her to have a daughter who wasn't normal. As if I chose to be born this way, as if I wanted this. 

I felt a harsh pressure on my palm and turned to look at Newt who was squeezing my poor hand into oblivion, his concerned eyes glued to me - his glance filled with reassurance and comfort as if to say he knew how it felt. 

"I don't believe I've had the misfortune Miss..?" Newt rose, his eyes now gone from mine and steeled over in a somewhat defensive glare, hand still clasped firmly around my own.

"Mrs Nott. Victoria's mother." my mother looked Newt up and down, nose raised slightly, inspecting him for his worth. She always did this, with any new acquaintance - stared at them, estimating their value, social class, power and influence. If you were one of the lucky few who she deemed socially superior to herself she would by any means bow down and kiss your behind  but if you weren't so lucky you might find yourself getting rather familiar with her cold tone and bossy temperament. This whole process would only take about 30 seconds maximum - a rather superficial creature was my mother in case you hadn't realised by this point.  She turned back to me, "I knew as soon as I heard about Gellert you had fallen prey to this kind of scum-"

"Don't you dare call him scum." a low murmur arose from my throat, slicing through the air. 

"What did you just say dear? I could've sworn you just-"

My hair flashed crimson, exploding angrily into tight ringlets that clung to my face, "I said don't you dare call him scum!" I yelled, whipping my wand out and making a lunge for the old hag. Her face visibly recoiled and I had to be confronted with the image I had tried so desperately to avoid since she waltzed her way back into my life. A plum coloured robe swamped her skeletal figure, her skin clung to her face like wrinkled wallpaper that was peeling away in sickly yellow strips, her piercing eyes peered at me - still as black and lifeless as I remember, thin lips pursed tightly and greying hair pulled up into a harsh bun that did her features no favours. "Call me what you like - freak, abomination, impure, disgrace - whatever but don't you dare call him that you foul woman." I lunged again, wand sending sparks of flame dangerously from it's tip but before I could extract any kind of revenge on her I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist and another set of hands grab my own, snatching my wand away from my fingers. 

Before I could even begin to protest, thrash around, make a fuss (and oh boy did I plan to) the sense of sickening lengths of travel overwhelmed my senses, knowing I had been apparated somewhere I just went limp. Not caring anymore. My eyes fell shut and somehow I just knew I'd been put into a bewitched sleep - they never felt quite right, something was always off about them, you might as well have been dead to the world in all honesty. 

"Tori?" 

"Hmmmm?" Oh my throat hurt - what in the hell did I do to it? Oh yeah, the shouting. I don't do that often for a good reason.

"Newt! Newt! She's coming to!" Credence, that was most certainly the black haired goof ball's voice. Thank the lord, at least I wasn't kidnapped by that charming mother of mine.

"Yeah, she should be fine from now on Creed, that sleep I put her in was absolutely harmless I promise."

"Good! I'm sorry for punching you when you did it - I didn't understand and I wanted to protect-"

"Shhh, it's okay. Besides the blue matches my eyes gorgeously!" Newt giggled.

"Oh I'm going to transfigure you into an actual newt Newt." I croaked angrily, "Why did you have to put me out? Why did you have to stop me?" my croaks raised in volume, my eyes met his. I didn't need to look around to know I was currently sprawled on the small bed in the shed of the suitcase. 

Newt sat next to me as I made room for him on the pillow, Credence was sat at my feet watching intently. "Because, Tori, you are a very skilled witch and I was scared you might transfigure poor Credence into a cup by accident. I stopped you because you don't want her blood on your hands Tori - she's not worth it, she's not worth your precious time." he started running his fingers softly through my now ebony hair, smiling down at me as I cuddled up to his side.

"Oh Credence! Leo!" I suddenly gasped, "We interrupted your date - I interrupted your date."

Credence smirked wryly, turning his palm to face me, "He gave me his address so I can find him considering I don't currently have an address." I scrambled over to him and hugged him tightly. 

"That's my boy, I'm so proud of you! Newt, our baby is growing up." I wailed in mock sadness, gesturing for Newt to come join the cuddle which he did quite happily. "My baby boy is getting some! He was cute too Credence! He better treat you right though." I peppered the poor man's face with light kisses, praising him for doing so well. "You can send him owls when Bear gets back which should be soon! Oh our baby is doing so well Newt!"

"Eww mum get off!" Credence giggled, pushing me off gently and walking out to the door to the shed with a raging blush on his face muttering about checking up on the niffler or something. 

Newt yawned and wrapped his arms around me, "He really is like our child isn't he?" I nodded, smiling warmly at him, "You know, when we have kids when we are older, they're going to be spoilt rotten by him." 

Well that was a shock. Kids, oh Merlin. I had always promised myself I would never have children of my own, due to my metamorphic abilities I was always worried that they would turn out like me. Like the thing I had been taught to hate. But something about Newt just made me think that no matter what, those kids would be loved and cared about regardless of what they look like or what abilities they have. Maybe it would be okay if they were little idiots like me and equally so if they weren't. Something about Newt made me think that whatever happened, they'd be great children.

"When we have kids, they're going to be damn lunatics." I giggled softly, Newt only kissed me gently - probably totally unaware of my inner conflict at his seemingly nonchalant words.