Giving Up

Sighing out of exhaustion Newt and I collapsed on the suitcase. How in Merlin's name we managed to fit that monstrous rhino thing into this small, worn case was beyond me.  Newt did try to explain but his words were wasted on me. I have to say though, watching Newt perform that bizarre dance was hysterical.

"I best go check on Credence." I panted and Newt hummed in agreement as he unlatched the case and let me down the rather wobbly ladder. 

It was rather cramped in the little shed with all six of us down there and on top of that the little unnamed kitten I had decided to adopt which was currently sat playing with Tina. I strode over to Credence who was curled up, half asleep on Martha's lap on the small bed. He was thoughtlessly toying with the hem of her blouse. Smiling gently I noticed Martha was gently rocking him back and forth - a happy expression was hanging on his face as she did so, seemingly bliss-ed out from the affection he was receiving. I carefully cupped his cheek and bought his eyes to mine. 

"Hey. How're you doing sweetheart?" I asked delicately.

"G-g-good. I missed you, Martha kept me company though." he pouted, "Your hair isn't green anymore, I like it red though, it suits you." he turned to smile shyly up at Martha and the lady flashed him a reassuring grin, ruffling his hair softly. Credence got himself up slowly and engulfed the two of us in a warm hug. Martha and I couldn't help but giggle at the bashfulness of the boy, we both squeezed him tightly.

"I'm going to have to go back to work." Tina cleared her throat. She was perched delicately on one of the many counters crammed clumsily with utensils,. We all nodded unanimously in acknowledgement. "Mr Graves wants to have a private meeting with me. Gotta dash." she sighed, a loud CRACK of disapparation soon following. Alarm bells started ringing in my head. I know Graves well and he has never called a private meeting with anyone. Ever. He liked having an audience to gloat in front of and how was he going to get that if it was an audience of one? I couldn't even warn Tina something was amiss.

Admittedly I flinched noticeably at the mention of Graves, memories resurfacing unpleasantly - drowning me in the murky depths of my own mind. I was soon dragged out of my thoughts by the whimper of Martha behind me. I spun round and saw that Credence had started to shake, black mist swirling around his body, eyes glassed over and his breaths were being drawn in short, shallow and sharp inhales. Martha had tried to wake him from this strange trance but was flung violently into the opposite wall of the shed, sending equipment scattering across the rest of the room. The volume of the black mist was increasing vastly, engulfing the boy. I made one attempt to run at Credence and comfort him and tell him everything was going to be ok, that he was safe with me - but alas, this plan was abruptly drawn to a halt when I felt a pair of arms pull me back by my waist.

"Nobody touch him. We have to get him out of here now else he will kill us all." Newt growled, a tone of voice I had never heard him use before and quite frankly never wanted to hear again. I whimpered, not wanting to have to expose Credence to the world again. Newt muttered "Wingardium Leviosa." and lifted the boy gently  out of the case, not leaving my side - arms still wrapped around me. He gripped my waist tightly as I began thrashing and sobbing in hysteria, begging him to let me go and help Credence, this only made him pull me closer to him. My condition only worsened when I looked up to Credence, teary eyed and sniffling, and watched as he almost exploded into the black substance and disappeared.

This is when I gave up. Instead of fighting anymore I turned and buried my face in the crook of Newt's neck, bawling my eyes out. I heard Martha get up and say she was going to go and protect Credence from afar. Jacob, shortly after, patted my head.

"He will be fine kiddo. I promise." I heard him walk to the door and leave. Even this couldn't coax me out of the safe haven I had found, nuzzled between Newt's collar and his neck. My tears slowed as he rubbed my back and smoothed my now teal hair, whispering gentle reassurances in my ear.

After about ten minutes of this I ventured out to be met with a small smile and a kiss to the cheek that left both of us blushing. 

"Thank you Newt." I hiccuped and he brought his hand up to my cheek, gently wiping away my last remaining tears.

"Anytime Tori." he grinned, I found myself blushing further at the nickname I only allowed Credence to use for me.

"Can we go and find him?" I stuttered and Newt nodded, walking us over to the ladder. I briskly ascended the structure - determined to locate the boy who so desperately needed my help.

A sharp wind met my form as I pushed open the case. It took my eyes a while to adjust to the brightness of the outside world.

"Get back in the case." Tina - that was Tina's voice. Somehow it was emptier than Tina's voice - gone was the warmth, friendliness and love that usually draped her words. I turned to see her. She was stood with a blank, eerie expression on her face. Evidence of a scuffle littered her body - dishevelled clothing which was usually kept so pristine, bruises blossoming around her neck, blood seeping from the corner of her lips which were puffed out presumably from a punch. The thing that really caught me off guard however was her wand pointed directly at me. "Get back in the case." she repeated, almost growling.

"T-Tina, what are you doing? This isn't like you - it's me. Victoria Nott. Remember me?" I yelled frantically, hoping somehow the raised tone would get through to her. 

"You're right." a new voice interjected. "It isn't like her at all - it's like me." my eyes clapped on the man. Mr Graves. He raised his wand and I could just make out faint yellow threads of light connecting him to Tina. As he flicked his wand Tina mirrored him, only she shouted.

"STUPEFY!" and with that I tumbled back into the case.