Last Day

It was our final day in Diagon Alley, Newt had announced we would have to leave to go and investigate some beast in god knows where tomorrow, meaning our excursion had almost come to an end. Credence was thrilled, naturally,  the excursion would mean more magical tutoring from Newt or I (probably me because let's be honest Newt would just teach him about animals) and more exposure to the real magic world I guess. For me, however, the idea of the trip was a little more anxiety inducing. Newt had told me stories about him encountering incredibly dangerous creatures and I had seen the various assortment of scars that littered his body like little tattoos of a pale pink and off white that each depicted a different tale of pain and suffering. On a lighter note it would mean we would be living in the case for a little while - which was always exciting as when in the case you always seem to discover a new place or being that you hadn't encountered before. 

We had pretty much went into every single shop that caught Credence's eye - which I have to say is a lot! That boy honestly has the attention span of a child, getting distracted by every new pretty thing he saw. Then again everyone experiences that when they first go to Diagon Alley - that joyful gleam in your eye, the eager frame of mind, the way you run from shop to shop as if they are going to disappear if you don't get there quick enough, how you press your nose to the cold windows and watch as your breath clouds up the glass as you peer into each new room looking for something - you never quite know what you're looking for but you're sure as hell going to search for it. 

Newt on the other hand was exasperated. He clung to me like a bloody koala and grumbled about how much he wanted to leave. Admittedly, neither of us are the most social of wizards but still - it's Diagon Alley! How could you want to leave? Every new shop we went into he would grow more and more restless, he needn't say anything I could just tell. The small irritated puffs of breath that would dust my neck, or how he would rest his head on my shoulder and only communicate in small noises for a little while, the constant fidgeting and glancing around the street. Newt was restless alright. I felt like a mother, one of my kids jumped up on sugar while the other was throwing a mini tantrum. 

"Right! That is it! We are going to the ice cream parlour and the pair of you are buying me an ice cream!" I snapped after having Credence wave a set of sugar quills in my face only to have Newt mumble something about them being a technically illogical type of feather for a bird. The pair of them gaped at me in shock at my sudden outburst. "Come on! Get going, don't just stand there else I will turn the pair of you into galleons and give you to the niffler!" my threatening tone obviously shook them out of their bewilderment as they basically sprinted to the ice cream parlour. "That's what I thought." I grumbled as I dumped myself down into a chair opposite the boys and giving them evil eyes. 

Credence scrambled off to go and get the ice creams with his new found wizarding money that Newt and I had given him. 

"I'm sorry Tori." Newt briefly met my eyes before swiftly lowering them in fear of me literally setting him on fire with my burning glare. "Let me make it up to you! I'll-" he was cut off by a rather erratic looking Credence who was stumbling towards us in the company of another wizard.

The wizard was considerably taller than Credence and Newt, soft brown hair that swept into his face, olive skin, chestnut eyes, quite well built and looked reasonably strong. His face was decorated with a cautious smile and in his hands were two bowls of ice cream. Credence opened his mouth to speak but I interrupted quickly - "Ice cream first, introductions second." and stole one of the bowls the man had held out to me. "Right, continue." 

"Uh this is Leonardo Ricci - I've been bumping into him over the last few days." Credence mumbled with a cute blush pounding his cheeks. 

"Nice to meet you!" Leonardo smiled and shook both Newt and my hands, "Call me Leo." 

Come to think of it I had seen this boy a few times, usually as I was going to relocate Credence after buying something or having discovered the man had wandered off without me. I hadn't thought much of it at the time but usually, I could've sworn his lips were a lot more puffier and redder than they were currently. 

"Uh, Leo and I well... We...um...well. What I want to say is- uh." the stutter in Credence's voice became very evident and made me wince as it reminded me greatly of when we first met and the state he was in. 

"What Credence means is that I think we both like each other a lot." Leo finished, wrapping his arms round a now beet red Credence, pressing his lips to the top of the smaller boy's hair. 

"Oh so that explains the bruised up lips!" 

"Tori! Shush! Don't embarrass the poor kids." Newt reached out and grabbed my hand across the small table and looked at the couple before us, "We are both very happy for you both, I hope we can get to know you a lot better Leo." I nodded in agreement.

"Although if you hurt my baby I swear I will send a rather small and irritating niffler to plague your existence!" I threatened before bursting out giggling and shooing the pair of them away from me - "Go! You two don't want to hang out with us old folk while you could be getting to know each other better! Get out of my sight!" my laughter filled the air as the couple scurried away, arm in arm with Credence's head on Leo's shoulder. 

"Ahhh young love." Newt muttered dreamily, "Shame we're past that stage, hey Tori?" he smirked cheekily.

"We've only been dating a little while you prat! I'd count that as young love." I couldn't help but exclaim before launching a spoonful of ice cream at the man in front of me. It landed on his nose, giving him a nice pink splattering over his face. Bulls eye! "Love you!" I laughed as I stuck my tongue out at him. 

"I love you too-" Newt was yet again interrupted rudely by a new comer behind me.

"Victoria, darling. It's been a while." 

That sickly sweet voice, honeying an evil person. Shivers jolted down my spine like electric shocks. I couldn't even bring myself to turn around. 

"I believe the last time we were together I told you if I ever saw you again, your father and I would kill you."