Chapter 9: A Dream or a Bad Omen?

"You are a terrible driver." I say holding onto my seat for dear life.

"Don't be a drama queen. I just like to drive fast." Nora says. She takes a sharp turn and I almost hit my head on the window.

"Nora if you wreck this car I will be in deep trouble." I say.

"That only makes me want to drive faster." She says grinning.

"You are insane." 

"I prefer the term mentally ill." She slows down as we come to a stop light.

I take a deep breath and let it out. "Do all Australians drive like maiacs?"

She laughs, "Maybe. Or perhaps its just a female thing."

"My Mom does not drive like this." I say.

"There are exceptions to every rule." The lights change to green and she speeds off again.

"Nora seriously I'm not too keen on dying like this. Can you slow down just a little?" I'm embarrassed to say my voice did raise several octaves.

She looks over at me, probably taking in my clammy forehead and wide eyes and slows down a smidge. "Since it's your car I will dile it down a little."

"Thank you." I breath.

She rolls her eyes. "Oh okay here we are." She sounds excited.

"This better be good cake." I say 

"You've got no idea how good this cake is." She parks the car and unfastens her seatbelt. 

I very carefully take my seatbelt off and open the car door. I feel like my insides have been put in a blender. Nora on the other hand is fine and impatient to get to the cake. She's already out of the car and pulling me out. 

"Come on. Don't be a wuss."

"I am currently suffering from car sickness. Not wussness." I say wiping some sweat off my upper lip.

"Oh shut up." Nora pulls me to my feet and slams the door after me.

"I don't even think I am up to eating cake." I say clutching my stomache.

Nora akes my shoulders and starts pushing me forward. "I will force it down your throat if I have to. You must eat this cake."

"I feel like I'm being taken hostage." I look ahead of me and see that we're walking towards a cafe. What sort of cafe is open at ten thirty at night?

"This cake will make it all worth it." Nora says taking her hands off my shoulders and walking beside me. 

"Is it better than Tim Tams?" I ask.

"Nothing is better than Tim Tams. But this cake comes very close." We're almost at the door now and Nora runs ahead. There's a 'closed' sign on the window. 

"Nora we're not about to do anything illegal are we?" I ask.

"Don't be stupid." She takes a key out from under a mat and opens the door.

"Nora!" I whisper yell. "This is called breaking and entering and I am 100% sure it is a felony."

"And I am a 100% sure the owner of this shop will not mind. Don't worry." She opens the door wider for me to go through.

"No way I am not doing this." I cross my arms.

"You are such a baby Riley." Nora says sighing.

"I am an upholder of the law." 

"Look, I know the guy that owns it and he lets me 'break in' whenever I want. He gets free books from the bookshop whenever he wants in exchange." Nora explains.