I cleared my throat. "Yes. The bathroom is just a hallway from the dining area."

"Thank you, I'll be back."

"Want me to come with you?" Mr. Border asked, teasing his wife. Mrs. Border just rolled her eyes and went inside.

I was left alone with Mr. Border and a couple of men at the other side of the balcony.

"You have a lovely wife, Mr. Border," I said, trying to start a conversation. The Border Corporation is one of our most important investors. It is part of the modern Triumvirate in Europe. The other two is The Winzenried Group, and of course, the Kinsley Holdings. Some of our clients and investors, as well as the other guests are not aware of the triumvirate thing, but they will be after this night.

"Thank you. But I don't think the word lovely would suffice to describe her," he said, lighting up the semi-uncomfortable mood.

"How about she's an incredible woman?"

"Close enough."

I chuckled and leaned on the railing. I can feel Mr. Border staring intently at me, but I kept silent. He removed his mask and leaned on the railing beside me as well and said, "your mother must be very proud of you."

"I hope so, too."

"Of course, she does." He puts his hand on my shoulder and gave me a soft pat. "Stop blaming yourself, kid. You know, and she knows that it was an accident."

"Sir, thank you for the comfort. But everything is already in the past now. Whatever I do, think, or even get won't be bring my mother back to life," I said, a little bit harshly. Creating some tensions seemed to be my specialty because I managed to make this conversation gloomy in every sense.

Vincent Border is the CEO of the Border Corporation. I didn't mean to speak roughly but bringing up the past, especially that part of my past, unnerves me and makes me lose my composure.

"Don't be so hard on yourself," he advised, as if that would make me feel better. "Your mother is an amazing woman."

"She was."

After saying that, I felt something changed. The atmosphere of the conversation was already cold the moment he mentioned my mother. But I feel like the temperature dropped even more. Vincent Border's eyes are on me, and I feel that he's looking at me intently.

"Alexander, we were informed that your mother had died in one of the properties your family once owned."

"I don't know where this conversation is going but I can assure you, sir, I don't want to go on that topic," I said. I can feel that my patience is growing thin. I love my mother. And then, she died. There's no point on talking about this.

"Listen, I understand that this is a bad timing, but I would really like for us to have a talk," he said as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

This is familiar territory. Many friends, and colleagues have offered their advice. They always say the same thing: "Don't blame yourself."

Who else should take the blame?

I've had enough of that. I don't need their pity. I don't need anyone's advice.

"I understand that you think that I will give you some petty advice or my condolences. But I can assure you, that will not be the purpose of our talk. The accident happened years ago. I will not put you in situations that will unnerve you any further."

Hearing the business tone in Vincent Border's tone made me regain my confidence. At least now, we're back on business.

But before I could answer, the two gentlemen at the other side of the balcony approached us. I cleared my throat and faced them. I was caught off guard seeing the Border couple that I didn't realize that the two men are still present.

With all the talk on my personal life, I'm more than relieved on the mask that hides my vulnerability.

"I don't suppose we are interrupting something important?" one of the men asked.

"Not at all," I replied. "I hope this party is to your liking."

Before we even introduced ourselves and started a formal conversation, one of the organizers approached us, and informed that, and I quote: "Mr. Kinsley will be introduced any moment, so will everyone please proceed to the ballroom to welcome him." The two other men followed the person in-charge while the Border's CEO gave me another pat.

"Think about it," he said before going in.

"I will," I replied even though my answer won't be heard.

Instead of following them, I stayed for a while.

I just needed a moment.

I leaned again on the railing and stared at the streetlights of New York.

After a few moments, I felt a presence behind me. I was immediately annoyed thinking that it was the organizer again. I turned and came face-to-face with a girl in a white gown, wearing a mask.

"Xavier."