Chapter 9

The storm clouds started to roll in that afternoon. Phoenix was out and about with N. Brio and Dingodile, having gotten a mission from Uka-Uka. Find the escapees and Crash Bandicoot. Dingodile couldn't help but feel a little bit nervous working with Phoenix out in the field but N. Brio was more than thrilled, mainly because, he was kissing up Phoenix.

N. Brio asked, "So, where are you from, Phoenix?"

Phoenix answered rather coldly, "I don't have a home. Now shut up, you short version of Frankenstein, or I will shut you up permanently."

Dingodile gulped at that, even though he wasn't the one being threatened. N. Brio knew to quickly shut up as the three of them continued on their way. That's when Dingodile saw a power crystal.

He stated, "Look mates! A power crystal!"

Phoenix groaned as he replied, "We have the entire world now, Dingodile. We don't need those anymore."

"But then what are we gonna do about Crash Bandicoot and company," he asked.

Phoenix grabbed the flamethrower off of Dingodile's back and pointed the nozzle at both N. Brio and Dingodile.

N. Brio protested, "B-but, I haven't done anything wrong!"

Phoenix hissed, "I will not hesitate to use this. You two are really getting on my nerves. So watch your step."

With that, he threw the flamethrower onto the ground. It broke open and the forest that they were in started to burn.

...

In the underground, Nina was in the lead as Crash and John followed.

Nina commented, "No doubt that Uka-Uka will have search teams for us above ground so we'll have to stay underground for as long as we can."

Crash stated, "Makes sense to me."

John asked, "I wonder what we are in for...?"

Crash turned to Nina and questioned, "Does Phoenix even have a weakness?"

Nina answered, "No, he's a bounty hunter. He is virtually prepared for every situation and will not hesitate to send those below him to an early grave."

John stated, "That's just creepy."

Nina nodded in agreement as she went slightly above ground to check their position. That's when she saw Castle Cortex.

She told them, "Jackpot."

Crash asked, "We made it?"

John answered, shooting a look at Crash, "Would she say jackpot if we didn't?"

The two of them followed Nina out of the underground as they started their infiltration of Castle Cortex.

...

Uka-Uka sensed something as he made his monitor appear magically. Once he saw Crash on the screen, he snarled and instantly called Phoenix.

He hissed, "Phoenix! Get back here! Crash Bandicoot is here with John and Nina."

Phoenix replied, "Understood, my master."

Uka-Uka added, "Oh and...come alone."

Phoenix responded, coldly, "Of course my master."

With that, the call was dropped.

...

Back with Phoenix, he hung up his cell phone.

N. Brio asked, "Who was it?"

Phoenix answered, "Uka-Uka. It appears that Crash is at the castle."

Dingodile started to say, "Well, what are we waiting for...?"

Just then, Phoenix brought out some rope and started strangle Dingodile. The mutant started to choke and as N. Brio was about to help, Phoenix kicked him away from the two of them. Eventually Dingodile passed out and died. Phoenix let go of the rope as the dead body of Dingodile hit the sandy beach. The blood coming out made the white sand turn a bloody red color. N. Brio paled, not believing that this one person managed to take Dingodile in a huff. Before he even had time to react, Phoenix put a needle in him, injecting him with something.

N. Brio choked up blood instantly as he asked, "W-why...?"

Phoenix turned around to head back to the castle as he answered, coldly, "Just burn in hell already."

With that, he rushed back to the castle - not even bothering to witness N. Brio's death.

...

Back with the heroes, they had made quick work of the mutants and Tiny as they continued to check every part of the castle.

"Crash?"

Crash turned and saw Pinstripe, behind bars with his friends.

"Pinstripe," he asked, surprised to see him again.

"Hello," Pinstripe answered, rather sadly, capturing Crash's attention.

"Boy am I glad to see you guys," Crunch gushed.

"Same here," John replied. He paused and asked, "How's my brother?"

Crunch answered, "Badly hurt. There's no way he'd be able to battle in this fight in this condition."

Nina stated, "Once we get you out, I'll take you to the caves where we're hiding."

As John started to use Iron Tail on the lock, Crash was more focused on Pinstripe.

He asked, "What happened to you?"

Pinstripe answered, shaking his head, "It happened so fast. I was a happy, married mutant. I h-h-had a baby on the way." Crash paled as Pinstripe started to cry. He added, "I told Phoenix that I would never work for him and neither would my future family. He didn't like that answer so...he took my world away..."

At that moment, Pinstripe just broke down into tears as the cell door was opened and the prisoners got out.

Crash stated, rather softly, "I'm so sorry, Pinstripe."

Pinstripe replied, shaking, "I ain't going out there again, Crash. I just wanna die right now... I lost my whole world..."

As Pinstripe continued to cry, Crash could feel the overwhelming amount of guilt that he had. He always hated Pinstripe for taking his girl away when he was trying to save her. Now she was dead...leaving a crushed Pinstripe behind. Crash wanted to say something - anything - to cheer up Pinstripe. But the thing of it was, he didn't know what to say. He could say that he was sorry about Pinstripe's lost but he already did that. Finally, he caught his breath as the prisoners were starting to escape.

Crash responded, "You didn't lose your whole world." Pinstripe looked at him a bit as he continued, "You still have us. Your friends. Granted that it can't take the place of a wife and a baby but...when the chips are down, friendship can bring you back up again." Pinstripe's eyes stayed on Crash as he finished, "What I'm saying is...you have me, Pinstripe. I might not be the best friend these days but...I know that in my heart, if Tawna were still alive, that is what she would want."

Pinstripe seemed to have studied Crash intensely. He knew that he had already lost Cortex, his best friend for many years, and yet... Crash held out his hand and the two just looked at each other in awkward silence. Crash wasn't leaving unless he knew Pinstripe was...

...

Wishmaker1028: What a turn of events and we're not even at chapter 10 yet! Please read and review! And always think outside of the box!