Two: Time to Solve a Murder

Two: Time to Solve a Dead Guy's Murder

"I'M ONE OF THE TEACHERS who is in charge of the freshmen Aces." Adam informs us, making me roll my eyes. We know this already and he knows it. Though, I'm still trying to process the fact that of all things to be given to me, it's an Ace status. I mean, I can see the Academy Board giving Derek, Roxie, and June statuses. They've got the skills, but me? Is it because of...? If it is, then I officially hate my life. "The Headmistress, the two other Ace teachers, Squad 10-52, and parents and guardians know who the Aces are, and for good reason. If the wrong people come to know the Aces' real names and identities... Well, let's just say that you'd be in even more danger than what a regular student in an Academy is in. A ratio would be around eighty-four to sixty-seven percent." Adam starts to explain.

"Um, eighty-four to sixty-seven percent of what?" June questions, looking worried.

"Nothing major; just your chances of being kidnapped, stabbed, mauled, electrified, drowned, incinerated, shredded, ripped to pieces, eviscerated, dissected, etc. No biggie." Adam lists off, making all of us gulp and me drink my coffee all the quicker. This is another one of the reasons why being an Ace isn't as cool as everyone thinks it to be. I can count on everyone here's hands the number of times that any of what Adam listed happened to Chad and I'd still need more hands. I don't like danger, or pain. I really don't need those things in my life.

Wait a second, where'd Adam get that ratio? He's too lazy to do that kind of math... Did he just pull it out of his ass or did he get it from an actual source?

"This information, of course, was provided by Evan." Now, that makes sense. I shake my head, and he rolls his eyes. "The reason why you would be in much more danger than usual is because of the fact that this year's Aces are all freshmen, and the previous Aces haven't graduated yet, blah blah blah. I know you've heard it a million times." He just sounds bored now, and he proves it by yawning. "Now, I'm your squad leader; we're Squad 10-54. Except for you, Roxie," his voice is lowered. "You're in Squad 10-53 with Allison, Calder, and Kyle." He explains, leading us down the hall.

"Okay, who're the other four people?" I ask in an equally low voice, pushing away my despair for the moment. Why think about how stupid the Academy Board is to give me Ace status now instead of while I'm being brutally murdered (according to Adam's statistics)?

Adam opens a door marked "Floor 1-1", leading us down two flights of stairs and then opening another door that says "Floor 0-2".

"Squad 10-55 is Nick, Aeon, Jay, and Katie." He replies, answering my question. June hisses, and I'm willing to bet that she's squeezing the life out of Derek's hand. How do I know this?

The moron's hand is practically marble.

I'm also pretty sure it's because of the fact that Katie was given Ace status. She and June have a serious rivalry, even more serious than Derek's and mine, if you can even call ours a "rivalry". We like to think of it as a "hate each other's guts" thing.

This is an era of mystery; many unacceptable actions have taken place. There are so many lies that need to be exchanged for truths, and secrets that must come to light. After all, secrets always come to light. A strange voice says suddenly, and when I see that the others aren't reacting I realize it was in my head. Before I can try to figure out what the hell that was Adam stops in front of a door.

"Welcome to Room 09, the Aces' meeting room." He says before opening the door.

...

The room we enter is huge and pretty awesome. The floor has rugs that look like they would make love to your feet at first step, and the walls are marble, which remind me of being inside ancient Greek structures. On the walls are paintings, portraits of people and places, and framed newspaper articles spanning over the decades. I think I can see one from the 1500's about an earthquake in China. Over the fireplace is a portrait of a man with the piercing silver-blue eyes of an oculis, and he has skin and hair darker than Adam's. His hair isn't really hair, it looks more like a mane. Seriously, it looks like a mane. He could pass as a very convincing lion humanoid. I'm pretty sure he's Balthazar, the Academy's first Headmaster. All of the couches and chairs are facing his portrait.