Six: I Finally Get to Meet the Murderer

Six: I Finally Meet the Murderer

"I HAVE TO SAVE HER."

BANG!

BANG!

Smell of iron so thick in the air that I can almost taste it...

"The next time we meet...your fate will be the same as your mother's."

"Tony..."

Kneeling in blood...

Why does she still want me alive?

Why does she still love me?

Oh Sovereigns, those bullets are...

A bright red kiss on the cheek before letting go.

"Love...you...baby...boy."

Because he's her son and nothing will ever change that.

"Mom?"

"Mom!"

"Mom..."

She's gone.

She's the only one who kept me safe.

She's gone. She's gone. She's gone.

Weakly clawing at the sand.

 "You couldn't save her in time; it's your fault she's dead. And now, you're going to pay the price, son."

...

I open my eyes and find myself floating, a thin line running down in front of and behind me. On my left is a black field of shadows that has iridescent embers floating in the air and brighter plant life crawling along the countless paths littering the field. On my right is a bright white expanse that hurts to look at it. I'm currently getting closer and closer to the latter. Now, I don't know what this means, but I don't think it means good news. Adam always warned me about the light, and he was always so serious that I've taken his words to heart.

"It's good to see you, Matt."

At the sound of the voice I turn my head and see a figure come out of the black; they grab my hand and pull me to them. The second I enter, I notice that it's warm and cool, comforting and refreshing, and I just want to close my eyes and float... I feel more reinvigorated than I've ever been. Shadows curl around me, but not with malintent.

My savior, I think, pokes my cheek, snapping me out of my appreciative reverie.

"Tony?" I ask in surprise, because isn't he supposed to be, gee I don't know, dead? Wait a moment, considering my powers...that's why he was able to contact me.

As if knowing what I'm thinking, he nods. He actually looks better than I've ever seen him. He's swept his hair back, wearing the clothes he died in, and his eyes...they're lighter than I've ever seen them.

"I called you here for a reason," he starts. "You're in danger, Matt. You have to be careful. There's not much I can tell you, but you better damn well watch your back." He says, and I can hear the worry in his voice.

I give him an incredulous look. "I know that you probably know about me being a Chosen and the truth. Custos Mortis or someone here must've told you, so that means that you know that they're out there looking for me. So, yeah, I am in danger twenty-four/seven." I reply, voice shaking with both fear and weariness.