19

We awoke everyone and ran outside.

We watched terrified as the humongous creature came for us like death itself.

It roared a mighty roar and yelled "I AM FIRE." Before letting waves of fire roll out of his large mouth and into lake. "I AM DEATH."

"What should we do?" The children cried as they huddled together.

"Take up arms!" I shouted, "there is no use in just standing around waiting to die, if I am going to die tonight I will die with dignity in knowing that I went out fighting for my life."

"No one will die tonight." Fíli said as he pulled the sword the town's Master gifted him.

People from all over the town were running in fear, screaming and crying with nowhere to go.

"Da will kill it!" Bain insisted. "He has taken the iron arrow to the post."

"Da was arrested!" Sigrid reminded him.

"They'll have to let him out." Kíli insisted.

"Let's hope your right lad." Bofur said.

"We can't risk our lives on fate, Bard is the only chance we have for survival, we have to get him out!" I shouted.

None of the Dwarves looked like they wanted to go into the heart of the town to risk their lives for that of a barge man.

"If nobody else goes then I shall go by myself."

"I will go." A familiar voice sounded, we looked up to find none other than Legolas.

I hugged him tight, "I thought you left."

"I wouldn't exactly entrust your safety with the likes of just four dwarves."

I sighed at his prejudice.

"Everyone jump in the water." Legolas said as the dragon approached the town. He sprayed everything with his fiery breath, houses set ablaze turned to ash. "It is the only thing that will save you from the fire."

I turned to him, "I need you to hold on to this Legolas, my future depends on it."

I pulled out mine and Thorin's Marital decree, he took the folded piece of parchment, "I vow to protect this with my life."

He placed my marriage contract into his jacket and then went about his way, I wondered, if he knew what it really was would he have made such a vow?

We jumped into the cold lake then as we watched Tauriel suddenly run by.

"Tauriel."

I had meant to say it in reference for Her to look upon us so that she could join us in the safety of the water, but she didn't hear me. However, Kíli who had heard me reacted by leaping out of the water without warning.

"KÍLI!" Fíli shouted and began to get out as well.

"Fíli no!" I tried to stop him as I held onto his shoulder

"He's going to get himself killed Maecel!" He said, he had the same fear in his eyes that Thorin had before he left.

I silently nodded and removed my hand from his shoulder knowing that nothing on this earth could separate the brothers so my attempts were futile.

He kissed my cheek gently, "protect my young kin your majesty."

I smiled through the tears as I watched my husbands eldest nephew remove himself from the safety of the water.

. . . . .

{{Fíli's POV}}

I felt horrible leaving Maecel in the water, she is family now and Thorin would be upset to know that I abandoned her.