2

Magorie was in a tizzy because I didn't tie up my hair before bed, but I had other things to worry about. I anxiously searched the castle for Gandalf, always coming up empty.

"I suppose he left."

"Who my lady?" Magorie asked.

"Gandalf the wizard, I wanted to see if he had anything to say about why he was here."

"My lady, it is time for your lessons." She continued as she brushed off my comment about Gandalf.

"How about I do my lessons tomorrow if you let me go and arch today?" I questioned her with a mischievous smile.

She sighed in defeat, even though I had asked her, we both knew I had really insisted, and Magorie had no right to refuse me as I am of the royal family.

"I'm just going to go up to my chambers and gather my bow and quiver."

"Your Highness" one of the imperial guard sounded, I turned to face a man with two large boxes. "Parcels from Windagora the seamstress."

My eyes grew wide with excitement and Magorie took the boxes from the man before I rushed us to my chambers.

"I didn't expect her to finish these so soon." I said as I took out a leather vest and held it up to my body.

"I suppose since you are a high quality client she did her best as fast as she could." Magorie countered.

But before I could even think about changing into one of the outfits a loud bang sounded as a staff hit the floor.

"The Lady Galadriel" a man practically yelled, and in entered the ethereal Galadriel.

Magorie and I curtsied.

"Maecel my dear, you are looking as lovely as ever."

"Thank you my Lady, may I ask what brings you to Rivendell?" Really I wanted to ask what brings her into my bedroom.

She smiled and then her voice floated into my head.

Send your lady in waiting away.

"Magorie, you are dismissed for the remainder of the day."

"But my lady-"

I shot her a look, I don't ever really try to pull rank with anyone as I believe that everyone should be considered equals, but when the Lady Galadriel tells you to do something, you do not disobey.

"Yes my lady." Magorie curtsied to me and then to the Lady Galadriel before finally leaving.

"I have come because a little birdie has informed me that you are going on a quest."

I gave her a questioning look and she smiled softly, "you may not have been approached just yet, but rest assure that The Wizard Gandalf has big plans for you my child."

The Wizard Gandalf?

"He was here last night and mentioned no such thing." I confessed.

She nodded "he will in time, and that is why I have come." She held her arm out and I took it as she glided us easily around the room. "Now more than ever you will need to practice with your gift and tools."

"But I don't-"

"I see your bow and arrows on the table." She smiled as she answers my unspoken protest.

"This isn't a matter of if you will go or not, your soul is lively and it craves adventure. You must be prepared to face anything and know that there is a chance that not all that attend this quest will return, you will see and experience things that you've only been told stories about." She said, her voice was calm but her eyes, they gleamed with a wild sort of excitement. "You must know that once you commit you may not turn back, you will anger some but I can assure you that it is for a greater good."

"You speak of my father." I said with a weak smile.

She stopped us and lifted my face into her hands, "your father will always be your father, he will always love you and help you in any way he can." She said as she stared deep into my light blue eyes, "he will be saddened at first but he is not the one your presence will anger."

I furrowed my brow unable to think who else could be mad at me going on a quest, I didn't press the issue.

"Maecel my dear girl, I give to you now a new name, from hence forth you shall be Maecel Fairchild, daughter of Rivendell."

I smiled and hugged her, she wrapped her long arms around me before letting me go.

"And with a new name comes new gifts."

She clapped her hands delicately and one of the men in her guard came in with a large wooden box.

"My Lady, this is too much." I said as she opened the box revealing it's contents.

"It is just enough." She countered, "now first, while I'm sure your quiver is quit acceptable it just will not do for your journey so I bring you this." She said as she lifted the new quiver.

Unlike my long leather pouch that carried my arrows, this one seemed to be made of white silk with intricate metal scroll work. One would think it was heavy but in all actuality is was as light as a feather. Even the arrows seemed elegant with their white feathered ends.

"This new quiver is special my child, it has the ability to regenerate arrows so that you will never run low and find yourself in tough spot."

Next were a set of (four) silver knives, I ran my hands over then lightly.

"We already know you are talented with your bow and arrows, but there may come a time when you are parted with them, these my girl are throwing knives and can be hidden and stored on your person, preferably your vest and riding boots to get to them quickly. Practice grabbing and throwing them quickly as well as hand to hand combat with them for they may just save your life one day."

I nodded my silent understanding.

She closed the box and handed it to me. "Now my last words of warning. Do not reveal your true identity unless someone guesses correctly. Elves have many enemies outside of these walls so it can be hard to trust anyone, if all else fails, trust your gut instincts my child and if ever you need me, just call my name and I will send help."

She hugged me once more before showing herself out of my chambers.

I wasted no time in changing myself into the new garments and did in fact find small pouches on my boots that would work well with the knives, my vests were another story.

I grabbed my old sewing basket and sat down with the vests. I found old scrap material and began to sew them onto the shoulders of the vests making small loops so that the knives would fit snuggly into them without being too loose.

I felt a little foolish as I stood their in full practice garb, knives on my shoulders and feet, I looked the part of a journey-man but didn't feel it. I pulled my hair out of my face and then put on a grey cloak as I grabbed my bow and new quiver and placed them over one of my shoulders and neck, careful of the knives now hidden under the cloak.

I swiftly made my way out of the castle and then out of Rivendell, my destination was the woods and I managed to get there without being stopped.

The cloak was new, one of Windagora's that she made specifically for me. It was heavy and had soft fur that lined the entire inside. I removed my bow and arrows and placed them on the ground gently, I also pushed back the hood. Then pushed the sides of the cloak back so that now it clung comfortably around my neck like a cape. My leather vest was on full display and I smiled, it was when I was out in the open, amongst nature that I felt right, almost alive.

I closed my eyes and let the small breeze caress my face then I remembered The Lady Galadriel's words "Practice grabbing and throwing them quickly..."

I smiled and then erased it as I got serious, today's lesson would be the art of speed with knives.