15

Bard informed us that we would have to enter the town through a Toll gate where a man would take note of the arrival, but we couldn't be seen. To keep from being seen and to keep Bard from being found out we all hid into the barrels which he had filled with fish, this time I had my own barrel so Thorin had asked Bard to tell us everything that was happening.

"We are approaching the toll gate." Bard said calmly.

"HALT!" A man shouted in a friendly sort of way, "papers please...oh it's you Bard, anything to declare?"

Bard and the man made slight conversation. The sound of water slapping against the barge and the ruffle of papers hit my ears. But our of fear of the unknown I kept my hand on my sword just in case I had to come out defending myself.

"Here we are, all in order."

"Not so fast!" Another voice said. He began to belittle Bard about not having empty barrels. "These fish are illegal, empty the barrels over the side."

I remained still but ready to fight, my fingers itching to draw my sword.

Heavy boots stomped their way onto the barge, ready to dump the barrels into the canal. Bard desperately began to make his case but whoever he was talking to did not care about the sad tales of struggle that the town seemed to be in.

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back into the lake, when the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?" Bard asked.

"Stop." The man order reluctantly.

I felt the boots walking away from the barrels and knew we were going to be ok for now.

Once the boat stopped Bard gave us the okay and he started tipping the barrels over.

"My lady?" He asked as he reached my barrel.

I knocked against the barrel wall since I didn't want to open my mouth and risk tasting the uncooked fish.

He began to dig through the fish and I reached my hand up, he made contact and lifted me out with ease.

"Thank you Sir Bard."

"Glad to be of service my lady." He said.

"That is a princess you speak to" Thorin interrupted.

Bards eyes widened, "Your Highness " he bowed down low.

"That is not necessary." I insisted.

Bard paid a local man off who had seen us, "follow me." He instructed us.

We walked briskly through the dark and dirty little town, gaining looks from the locals.

"Da" Bard's son approached us in worry, "our house, it's being watched."

I'm not quite sure who's plan it was but both Dwalin and I were less than enthused about having to sneak in through the toilets.

"Da, why are their dwarves climbing out of out toilet?" The eldest of Bards girls asked.

"Will they bring us luck?" The young girl asked excitedly.

I couldn't help but giggle at her words and Thorin shot me a stare.

We were given dry clothes to change into, bard went to fetch the weapons he promised and the men fell back into business as usual.

I braided the little girls hair and told both girls about my home in Rivendell.

"So you get to wear long fancy dresses and a crown?" The elder one asked longingly.

"I have many fine gowns back home and a tiara that was given to me on the day of my birth, but to be honest I have been much happier on this journey." I admitted with a smile. "Sure I've been chase by orcs, skin-changers, goblins, large spiders, and even other elves...but for once in my life I'm actually doing something."