Chapter Twenty Three- Innocence

Start from the beginning

"The prophecy included Darkness, but it does not refer to the Dark Ones." Kas replied, setting a hand on Jolon's shoulder.

Eboni felt Bren shuffle uncomfortably next to her. She rested a hand on his, hoping it would bring him comfort and reassurance.

"In this case, Darkness refers to one of our group. Brother Bren, servant of light, has Tozaro blood running through his veins." Kas said slowly, glancing over at Bren, then Eboni.

Bren squeezed her hand, waiting for someone to say something.

"What?" Kimi asked in disbelief, giving Bren a disgusted look.

"You are allies with someone who has dark blood? Are you out of your minds?" Jolon replied, jumping up resting one hand on his sword.

Everyone stood in one swift movement, Kas standing between them, no sign of a smile left on his lips.

"Brother Bren was written into the prophecy, and I have it on good authority Elementi meant for him to join our journey." He replied coolly.

"Release your hand from your sword, Jolon." Atu said, stepping forward to join his brother.

Kimi stepped forward, pointing a menacing finger towards Bren. "How can you trust him?"

"Because he had the opportunity to join them and he didn't." Atu replied calmly.

"And he has one of the purest hearts, and is the kindest person I have ever met." Iasa said, stepping in front of him too.

"And because he is my brother." Her breathing was laboured, ready for a fight. She had never been so ready to defend what she believed in before, but she was ready now.

"Stop it. All of you stop it!" Raus shouted out, the water from the small stream quivering as he stood and watched. "I trust him too."

"You have never met him." Jolon argued back.

"It doesn't matter. I trust these people, and I trust him." Raus stepped forward, looking Jolon in the eyes, daring him to say something else.

"You do?" Kimi replied, her eyes widening in shock.

"I do."

"Then I do too." Iya said, her voice floating from behind Jolon as she stepped out from behind him and smiled at them all.

"Your father will never allow you to travel with this group alone." Jolon replied, his hand finally falling away from his sword.

Kimi stepped forward. "Then he will not go alone."

"I am not letting you go." Jolon scoffed.

"I am grown now father, and you have taught me well. Raus will need a friend, someone to watch his back and you cannot well go with him while you are rallying our people." She reasoned.

"We are happy for her to join us." Iasa said, "Raus will need guidance with his power, like I did mine and a friendly face will help him with that. Plus, another sword and set of eyes won't do us any harm."

"Kimi, reconsider, please." Jolon whispered, stepping forward and grasping her hands in his. "I cannot lose you."

"I am going to be a part of this battle no matter what, at least let me be useful." She looked over at Raus. "Plus, I think it is the only way we can convince his father to let him go."

Raus paled at her words, his shoulders drooping, eyes growing sad as he looked over towards the cottage.

"He will never let me go." He whispered sadly.

"It is not up to him, Raus." Atu said, patting him on the shoulder.

Raus looked around the group, and after taking a deep sigh, he nodded his head.

"What is the plan then?"

"We cannot, in good conscience, let the innocent people of Admari succumb to the Darkness." Kas said, the others nodding in agreement.

"So, we return?" Iasa asked

"Yes, and we bring down the Empress. Let the people decide their own fate." Bren chipped in, his eyes looking past them into the horizon. Eboni knew he was remembering the feeling on the Darkness that Admari had brought onto him.

"No running. We save this world- all of it." Atu replied.

"And then what? Where is safe enough to go?" Kimi asked.

They stood in silent contemplation.

"We go to the Barren Land."

Eboni said, the words tumbling from her mouth before she realised what she had said.

"There is nothing there worth going to?" Iasa replied, looking at her like she had lost her mind... then again, perhaps she had.

"Not yet. But we are the elements of Elementi. Together we could build a land, the land that Elementi intended to be built."

"It's perfect. We could make sure we had the advantage then, when the time for battle does come. there is nothing more perfect than a battle field of our own design." Kimi replied, her eyes shining at the idea.

"Is it possible?" Jolon asked.

"Yes, I do not see why not." Kas replied, smiling over at Eboni admiration in his eyes.

"Then that is where I will send our troops. We will meet you there." Jolon said his voice now laced with determination.

"We have the space to train then too, properly unleash our powers, see what our full potential can unfold." Atu said.

"Oh, this is so exciting!" Raus said jumping from one foot to the other, barely able to contain his enthusiasm. "I can't wait to start!"