Chapter 6. Spring Break Blues

It had been a full five days since the incident with Alexander and his sister. Alexander and I only spoke briefly when we saw each other. I missed him coming up behind me, whispering the sweetest endearments in my ear, and kissing my shoulder. I was getting so close to telling him about the baby, and then he-he just left! I wiped my eyes for the millionth time as I sat cross legged on my bed, my over-sized sweater hiding my small stomach. My appointment with the OBGYN was tomorrow, I was finally going to see what my baby looked like. It must be so tiny if it hasn't even enlarged my stomach yet. I'm going to hide this as long as I can, I don't want anyone to find out anything unless they have to.

I couldn't help but to cry though. I was pregnant. I'm only seventeen! My parents can't even look at me! But when my mother does, I can see pure disgust shining in her eyes. My father tried to hide his disappointment. Hell, !I could barely hide the disappointment I felt burning inside me. I have failed my family. I shouldn't have gone to that damn party! I should have told Cassie no! Hot tears fell down my cheeks, I didn't bother wiping them though, the heart-wrenching pain I felt was too much. I needed Alexander to come back in my life.

A soft knock on my door interrupted my thoughts. "Come in!" I called out, finally deciding to wipe my eyes. My door crept open, Ben peeked in. "It's okay, little brother, you can come in."

He fully walked in and sat on my bed. "A-are you okay, Lanie? I heard you crying."

"I-I'm fine, Ben, just a bit sad." I tell him softly.

"Oh. Mom wanted me to tell you that dinner was ready too, she didn't look happy when she said your name. Are you guys fighting? Is it about your baby?"

I felt my face pale, "Ben, how'd you know about my baby?"

"I heard Mom and Dad fighting about it the other night. Mom was really mad. Is it really bad that you're having a baby, Lanie?" He asked. I processed the new information that Bennett told me before nodding. "Why?"

"Because, Ben, I'm suppose to have babies when I'm a grown up and I'm married. I'm not suppose to have them when I'm still in high school." I explained to my little brother. "That's why Mom's really mad about my baby, I'm not a grown up and I'm not married."

"Oh... Well... I'm happy for you, Lanie!" He smiled brightly at me, my heart instantly warming. I smiled back at him, a bit of weight being lifted from my shoulders. I was happy that my littler brother was at least on my side.

"Thank you, Benny. Now, let's go get dinner!" I said with fake excitement, I knew there would be a lot of tension at the table. Mom would probably glare at me or pretend I don't exist, Dad will probably read the news paper, and Ben would probably make sure I'm not lonely.

We walked silently down the stairs and stopped midway, my parents were talking about me. "I will not have that whore child of yours infecting Bennett's mind!" I heard my mother's voice hiss out. I motioned for Bennett to stay quiet.

"Oh, so she makes one bad decision and she's automatically a whore? That's a horrible thing for any mother to say about their child and you know it!" My father snapped back. "You know this is her first mistake, and quite frankly, I think she knew you'd react like this! You are overreacting so much that it's not even funny, Jaynie!"

"Either you're with me or you can get the hell out of my house and take that prostitute with you!" My mother growled angrily. I gulped hard. Were my parents about to D-word or maybe the A-word if that was legal within the church? I held Bennett close to me, we were both trembling. We never wanted our parents to split.

"Fine! But I'm taking Bennett with me! The only one here poisoning his mind is you!" My father growled.

"The only way you're taking Bennett is if we get an annulment!" My mother said, her voice dripping with venom. I could picture her, arms folded over her chest, and eyes narrowed.