"Iris?" I see her slip away into the darkness of fear.

My heart tightens upon seeing her so distraught. There is nothing I can do to dispel the fears deep seated in her soul. I know that feeling, the one gnawing the foundations of your sanity. But I can't let her drown.

"Iris!" I bark.

Gradually I see her face melt, her eyes soften, her whole body relax. She takes two shaky steps my way and falls against me, her arms around my waist. That scared little girl has the ability to surprise me like no other in my life. I want to push her whole body against me, glue her to me, for eternity, if I can, but I think of her wounds so my arms are hanging limb.

"You are not lying, Rage, are you? He is dead?"

Her shaky voice is enough to stir all the protectiveness I have inside. It is something fierce. I want to provide the security she craves and this instinct is more powerful than any other shitty thing in my brain. My hand moves up and snakes around her waist. The move is so sudden that makes Iris look up to me. She is close, too close and her eyes are pleading me to chase all her fears away. I would chase the Devil himself to see her have a good night's sleep.

"I will bury any motherfucker trying to hurt you!"

My voice is too hard, my words too crude, my grip on her might be too harsh. And yet she smiles. She looks deep into my eyes and smiles. She doesn't stir away from my touch instead tightens her embrace, her cheek flat on my chest.

"Thank you." she leans closer, climbs on her toes and puts a little peck on my cheek.

And just like that I am on fire. I can do nothing but stand there, my whole body frigid, stunned by that simple gesture. And it's my turn to be haunted. I haven't been kissed before in my life. No, that's a fucking lie. I was kissed once, I was loved as a child. I was...Not, not back there! I scream internally and stir away from her.

"Got it all?" Bjorn asks when we go down minutes after.

"Yes, thank you." Iris says.

"Listen, Iris." Bjorn comes closer with one eye one me "The room is yours if you want it. We can put some enforced door and Stig can set up more surveillance. I mean, if you want..."

I know what I want. I want to snap his neck. I don't know what his problem is but he doesn't like her staying with me. He is trying to take her away from me and I want to kill him for it. He glances at me and I am sure my eyes are signaling death but he doesn't stop.

"You can even come and live with us. I know Ava would love to have you."

Fucking...

"Thank you, Bjorn, but I am fine." she offers.

I tear my eyes from Bjorn and look down at her beside me. She is calm and relaxed and she means it. She likes being with me. She prefers being inside my bare room rather than go and leave in Bjorn's comfortable home.

"What are you working on?" Iris passes both of us by and heads up to the workstation.

Wood is there and the moment Iris reaches up to him, he gets up and welcomes her with a wide smile on his face. I feel rage boil inside me but if I break his bones now, it will scare Iris. I can wait to find the fucking thrall when he is on his own and teach him a lesson for smiling back at my girl.

My girl. I take one small step back in panic. I have been using that word a lot lately in my mind but I know Iris isn't mine. I can't think like that for her. I am not worthy not even for the skin on my bones. I don't deserve her, she is too good, too beautiful, too pure for the Hellhound.