6. New Begginings

Iris

First day to work is just great. So great that I wait everything to collapse around me any moment. There is no way I am getting out so easily. That is not for me. And yet here I am, in a garage, in an overall, free to do as I please and most of all free to work without looking over my shoulder all the time.

"Iris." Bjorn's voice echoes in the garage and I look over the hood of the SUV at him.

"Yeah?"

"We are selling this one. Make sure everything is OK. I'll check after you." he frowns.

I shake my head. It is our first day working together but I already feel at ease. Bjorn doesn't talk much. He showed me to my station and my tools and had me working on the SUV straight away. He then focused on the classic truck putting some hard rock music on. I have heard people talk about paradise and I am sure few think of it as a messy garage with music blasting and a tall, taciturn man as your boss. But I am in heaven.

When I met Daniel the day before I was agitated and scared. But the gray, older man just smiled at me and asked me two things: how old was I and if I had eaten anything lately. Easy answers. 18 and no. A flash of compassion flashed over his face. He called out a name and the man I had seen behind the bar came in. He had him make me a sandwich.

"He makes killer sandwich. I think we might patch him in just for that!" Daniel smiled at me.

I didn't know what to say or how to react. I nodded at the man and was glad he didn't lose his smile.

"So, Iris. You'll start assisting at the garage. Your day pay would be 40 dollars. Is that OK?"

My eyes widened and so did Daniel's smile when he looked at me. He chuckled softly.

"Car?"

I shook my head. Daniel's eyes fell on me and examined me swiftly.

"House?"

I swallowed hard and looked over his head.

"I see." Daniel said simply.

He shifted uneasily on his chair and fussed with his beard. He looked at me thoughtfully as if he was assessing me. The same way Ava had done.

"Is Ava your daughter?" the question slipped out.

They looked nothing alike but Ava might take after her mother. The way they behaved and looked was almost the same. My words put a smile on his face and I knew I was right.

"No, she is not. But I really wish she was!" Daniel's smile was warm.

I felt the bitter sting of jealousy. That man loved Ava like a daughter. And she had Bjorn, too. Me? I had nothing. No one. Not anymore. Well, I did just get a job. I should be grateful for the small wins.